• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedometer Failure?

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today while coming back from a long trip with the M1008 I noticed that the speedometer seemed to be running faster than normal. Usually it was 3-4 mph fast at 65 mph, however with a quick check of the gps it was showing 12mph faster. By the time I got home an hour later it was showing 20 mph fast (so showing 85) as well as bouncing back and forth. Even at slower speeds now it is significantly faster but doesn’t bounce.

Since it’s running that fast now I’m assuming the speedometer crapped out? Or could this still be a cable issue? I dont think the gear in the transfer case would be the cause since it’s running faster and not slower.

Jeepadict

The speedos in Squarebodies were known to need a rebuild from time to time...nowhere near as bad as the later electronic types with notoriously plagued stepper motors.

When I was in high school I had a local speedometer tech rebuild the head in my '75...he was a mobile guy. Rebuilt & greased the head, and calibrated with proper size gears in the trans...maybe 30 min worth of work. 20 years later was still behaving well when I sold it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

87cr250r

I think they use grease for damping which gets hard over time. I don't know what viscosity.or consistency grease should be used but if you never want to do it again Krytox GPL 200 series should have what you need.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think they use grease for damping which gets hard over time. I don't know what viscosity.or consistency grease should be used but if you never want to do it again Krytox GPL 200 series should have what you need.
What is the best way to grease it? I'm assuming this would be in the speedometer itself right?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What is the best way to grease it? I'm assuming this would be in the speedometer itself right?
Guessing that you have a cable attached to the back of the speedometer. Hard to get access to, but a splash of WD40 just to see if it helps...

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guessing that you have a cable attached to the back of the speedometer. Hard to get access to, but a splash of WD40 just to see if it helps...
Yeah at the moment it is but everything typically comes apart easy enough at this point 😂 so I would be adding grease to the back of the speedo where the cable attached? Or to the cable itself?

I’ve read on here about people greasing the cable but haven’t see much on how to lube the speedo itself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks