• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedometer problem with very loud noise drivers side M1009

Chaos333

I have been looking through the TM's and found some things about the speedometer but it does not seem to match my problem. When I drive my speedometer will read more then double the actual speed that I am driving. Driving today around 35mph and the it was saying that I was going 85mph. My major concern is that I am getting a very loud humming noise that seems to be coming from the drivers side. The faster I drive the louder it gets. Anyone have an idea what this is?

dependable

The speedo head bearing is going out. Causes rotating magnet to bind on the indicator spool. It is pretty easy to get and replace the speedometer head (never did try to fix one). Very easy to replace whole cluster from someone here parting a CUCV out. While you have dash out you can clean the cluster contacts and replace any dash light bulbs that are out.

Chaos333

The speedo head bearing is going out. Causes rotating magnet to bind on the indicator spool. It is pretty easy to get and replace the speedometer head (never did try to fix one). Very easy to replace whole cluster from someone here parting a CUCV out. While you have dash out you can clean the cluster contacts and replace any dash light bulbs that are out.
Will this mess up anything else important? I really don't care if I don't have a speedo for a few weeks until I get a chance to look at it. I am having all kinds of problems that I am trying to fix and the speedo is on the bottom.

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

Chaos333, any damage should be kept to the cable and speedo housing as dependable mentioned. The damage is done. You may want to just un-hook the cable to keep it from driving you nuts though.

Chaos333

Chaos333, any damage should be kept to the cable and speedo housing as dependable mentioned. The damage is done. You may want to just un-hook the cable to keep it from driving you nuts though.
Thanks! I am going to that. I am just having so many problems that have come up and I am spending all of my time working on those.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks