• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedometer

gabe

CUCV, when purchased speedometer would jump all over the place. Have replaced the cable and speedometer itself.
Works a million times better (can now actually tell the speed) however is still ‘jumpy”. Any thoughts?

cucvrus

Pull the inner cable out from topside and thoroughly grease the cable. Also make sure it is routed properly with no binding. Is it a GM cable or an after market. I prefer used over an aftermarket. It seems to fit and work better and smoother. But grease and routing are key. Good Luck. Secure it at the attachment points as designed.

gabe

Are saying to pull the “center core” from the new cable, grease it, then put back in?

cucvrus

Yes pull the inner cable from the top side grease it and put it back in. They make cable grease in a small tube to do this. The aerosol can stuff will work for the first 2 ft of the cable. But I find binding cables on speedometers a common issue. I really like pulse speedometers with electronic pick ups. You can easily do that. I know the stock cable likes lots of grease.

cucvrus

Yes the inner cable. But make sure it is attached to the proper attaching points about under the floor of the accelerator pedal, over near transfer case on right side and up at the brake booster. Proper securement is required for optimal smoothness. Good Luck and Good Night.

cucvrus

You don't need to disassemble the dash. You reach up and unclip it and pull the inner cable out of the hosing. Grease it as you reinstall it. I've done it before. Not impossible. Be Safe and take your time. I do hope you have the routing correct and the OEM style cable.