• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spicer 3053 main shaft reassemble question

Hiddensun

I am in the process of rebuilding my transmission. (3053 multi-fuel w/pto). I am reassembling the main shaft after cleaning all the parts and am drawing a blank. I am at the point where I need to put the synchronizer sleeve (pictured part: H) back on and the image in the TM shows it facing, what I think to be the wrong direction. Also the pin fell out during disassembly,before I could see its orientation, and I am guessing is inserted from the inside the sleeve out and the pointed end point toward the inside of the sleeve to rest in between the shaft splines. That's what the wear marks show anyway. Just looking for confirmation. Thanks in advance and shout out to Tom at Waterloo Specialties for his advice, knowledge, and quick parts shipping!

IMG_5313.jpgIMG_5314.jpgDeuce Trans Explosion.jpg

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the sleeve for 5th gear. And you are correct: that image is wrong; it needs to be flipped, the flanged side goes to the back of transmission.
Yes, the pin's head comes to rest in between two splines.

G.

TB58

Awesome, thanks for posting up that parts break down. I am going to be replacing all seals an bearings in mine once I get back to California. Probably a dumb question, but what keeps the oil from coming out through the input shaft bearing? Mine is pouring oil from both ends, but I don't see a seal on the front end in the picture.

Hiddensun

Any idea where I may obtain these thrust washers for the reverse idler gear? Or will I be ok to reuse these? They are pretty chewed up.

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i keep all that odd stuff also, thrust $9, idler brngs $12, shaft $52, gear $80. also always have bearing sets all 5 brngs, seal, gaskets, bunch of assorted gears.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
G. that chart is handy, but it is for the 3052 so some gears will be wrong part number.......
Tom, actually when I first posted that chart, that was used to list the (commercial)bearing numbers, only.
But you are right; in order to avoid costly confusions we better have a chart that covers both model transmission gears - and their corresponding part numbers.
So I just inserted those 4 other #numbers, along with the number of teeth, for easier identification (below).

Now, those images are still "wrong" - for the #3053! 'Want me to edit them, too?:)

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
gerhard, that is a good job on the chart, wonder if anyone does anything with the 3052 anymore. it did briefly confuse the op of this thread, but we got it worked out. thanks, you make great drawings and charts.

rustystud

Does anyone know if there is a "small parts kit" still available for the spicer 3053 ? Also isn't there some better bearings that will fit this transmission ? I kinda remember someone mentioning "bigger" or "more rollers" or something along those lines for some bearings in this tranny. Was that from you Tom ? or you Gerhard ?
I'm also looking for someone who sells the 2 gear bushings (sleeves) . Actually one of them is a needle style bearing for the second gear I believe.

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
small parts kit, i doubt it, but i have everything separately. there never was a needle style for 2nd or 5th, that is something i incorporated in my OD kit and is custom sized parts. the only gear bushing is for 5th, all others run right on the shaft.

rustystud

small parts kit, i doubt it, but i have everything separately. there never was a needle style for 2nd or 5th, that is something i incorporated in my OD kit and is custom sized parts. the only gear bushing is for 5th, all others run right on the shaft.
Then I guess it's time I ponied up and got the overdrive kit. Of course the wife will "gut me like a fish" if she finds out ! I've spent a little too much on the deuce lately !!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks