• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spicer 3053 trans question possible problem

karl1430

Hoping for someone on here that has seen this before.
I have been having problem s with going in to second and third gear. I believe I have isolated the problem to the 2-3 shift fork ball detent. That piece is at the tranny guy.
Upon inspection of the gears they seem to be in good shape but the gear I am pointing at in the picture wiggles a little when you shake it with your fingers. I believe that this is third ? gear I'm not sure though.
Is this normal or should I be concerned ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
2nd and 3rd shifting sounds like syncos before ball detente, with or without the ball for the detente, it should still shift in to 2nd/3rd

karl1430

When I pulled the top cover off when it was not connected to rest of tranny the cover would not let me put it in 2 or 3. I then removed the set screw on the 2 3 shift form and I was able to shift the cover normally. I put the set screw back and the problem returned. I don't know if this price of info helps ?

rustystud

Hoping for someone on here that has seen this before.
I have been having problem s with going in to second and third gear. I believe I have isolated the problem to the 2-3 shift fork ball detent. That piece is at the tranny guy.
Upon inspection of the gears they seem to be in good shape but the gear I am pointing at in the picture wiggles a little when you shake it with your fingers. I believe that this is third ? gear I'm not sure though.
Is this normal or should I be concerned ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
That's second gear. How loose are we talking here ? Can you see the actual movement ? Or is it more like you can "feel" the movement ?

karl1430

If you grab second gear with your two fingers and vigorously wiggle it it has some play in it. Not alot but I would say it moves back and forth between 1/32" and 1/16" almost like if a bearing or bushing was soso. Whe n I rotated the gears everything else looked good I shot a video of it but the forum won't let me upload mp4 I'm going to try and figure out how to shoot a video in mpeg tonight. Also the top is at the tranny guy I am supposed to have a call with him today at 3 so I will update on what he found. Thanks for all the help

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you grab second gear with your two fingers and vigorously wiggle it it has some play in it. Not alot but I would say it moves back and forth between 1/32" and 1/16" almost like if a bearing or bushing was soso. Whe n I rotated the gears everything else looked good I shot a video of it but the forum won't let me upload mp4 I'm going to try and figure out how to shoot a video in mpeg tonight. Also the top is at the tranny guy I am supposed to have a call with him today at 3 so I will update on what he found. Thanks for all the help
Load the video on youtube and post the link.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a LOT of play - way too much!

Probably time for replacing the mainshaft and 2nd gear, if nothing else.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of oil have you been using in your transmission?

karl1430

Thanks for the info.
Rustystud Do you have a parts source for rebuild parts? I have an excellent tranny guy but new suppliers are always good to know about.

And as for the oil it smells like gear oil. I honestly have no idea I bought truck about a year ago and have not driven it much (lots of other expenses this past year have cut in to toy budget)
When I get the top back from tranny guy I planned on dumping what's in there and using 80w90 gear oil. I know there's been a lot of debate on the forum about weights of oil to use (50w and 30w) but the original manual says 90w so that's what I'm inclined to use.

DavidWymore

I've been down this road.

www.waterloospecialties.com which is m35-tom, a member here. I think you're looking at about $200 for a stock new main and 2nd.

He also has instructions on his site, and I'm sure there are TMs out there as well. Main and 2nd can be changed with the trans in the truck IIRC.

karl1430

That's some good info. Waterloo specialties looks like a good source thanks for the info.

I heard back from my tranny guy who disassembled the top he said the spring on the ball detent for the 2-3 shift fork was a bit mangled he replaced it and I am picking up the lid tomorrow. I am going to reassemble and see if anything improves. I will be going for a rebuild soon but the ball detent was definitely a problem so let's fix easy and go to hard. I will post some pics of the top before I put it back on to test for improvement as I could not find pics of that part online. You guys have been super helpful!!
Davidwymore do you have any pics of when you pulled second with the tranny in the truck?

DavidWymore

No pics handy, but as I remember, pull out the drive shaft to the Tcase, pull the output flange off the trans, pull the main out the top.

rustystud

Thanks for the info.
Rustystud Do you have a parts source for rebuild parts? I have an excellent tranny guy but new suppliers are always good to know about.

Sadly there is very few parts places out there that even have bearings for this transmission. Like everyone else has said, and what I was referring to in the "overdrive kit" is go to "Wateroospecialties" . He has everything you will need to rebuild your transmission.

karl1430

Hey guys here's an update. I got the top back from the tranny guy this morning. He flipped the bad spring in the ball detent arround and now the tranny goes into 2 and 3. The best part is he didn't charge me. I'm going to charge batteries tonight and try and fire her up to see if she will shift under power. I'm sure I have other problems but if it moves I'll be thrilled.
A shameless plug for my tranny guy that I hope I don't get in trouble for
Gator from Gator Motorsports in Patchogue hooked it up. If your on Long island he's done alot of work for me and it's always come back right

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks