• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spicer 3053A shifting problems

brianp454

Do any of you have an issue with the 3-4 shift? I find my truck likes to be double clutched on this shift and is prone to "grinding" if you don't get the angle just right.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Are you certain the clutch is adjusted right? Maybe not releasing all the way?

The only time I get grinding is if I try to shift too fast. Try giving it a "two count" between 3-4.

arno

@brianp,
mine does not like that shift too, but there was also a lot of synchronizer gold in the oil when I changed it... I think I will do an overhaul in winter...

Arno

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... out, with transmission still installed - no way!
You won't find such page; the input shaft only comes out to the front of gearbox, after removing the bearing retainer.

G.

Edit: See my post #50: Correction: #3053 input shaft comes out to the back, but only after removing bearing retainer and bearing snap ring (to the front).

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
grinding in any syncro gear is not normal and means something is wrong. i had NEW trans. i built it with ALL NEW parts, yes it was expensive. point is the NEW 4/5 syncro was bad. would not shift 4 or 5 without grinding unless you babied it. replaced with another new syncro and perfect. normally while rolling all 2, 3. 4, 5 shifts will go right in, even right back into 2nd downshift at 10 mph.

and as G says no way input shaft will ever come out the back without removing trans from truck, the bearing has ring around the outside. that is what the front retainer holds bearing in position with.

oh Gerhard, re read your post, you mean rear unless maybe 3052 came out front

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right so Tom and thanks...! Guess that's called a brain fart...:)
Should have said: ... won't come out to the back, before removing the bearing retainer and snap ring - to the front..... of course!!

And yes, only the #3052 input shaft can come out both ways, since the gear is smaller than the bearing.

G.

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
not the same trans at all. ES60 and CM59 are MUCH larger than 3053. the 3053 is not a CM series trans, CM stands for constant mesh as in 1st and also reverse. the 3053 is much older, the last year the 3*53 was made for civilian use was 1965. the military version has wider gears (approx 1/8") 3053 is rated for 300 ft lb torque, obviously it can handle much more.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
since it is a different design transmission, it would not be exactly the same. only the basic stuff. why not just use the manual written just for the 3053.