• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

spicer 3053a transmission questions.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Has anyone attempted to put a spicer 3053a transmission and match it to a OA-331 gasser and got more speed because of the OD transmission?

What are the pros and cons?

waayfast

This gasser owner is also curious about the transmission swap.
But I'll up the annie and ask if anyone knows if an air shift transfer case can be installed behind the OA- 331 ??

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gas engine will not have enough Torque/Power to make the overdrive gear deliver the results you are looking for...
Exactly. I have done it - and promptly switched back to the 3052...

(Wow, just realised: that was 25 years ago! No SS and no TMs at that time...)

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
The gas engine will not have enough Torque/Power to make the overdrive gear deliver the results you are looking for

The transmission will work nonetheless
The torque specs are almost the same and hp just a little less with gas

Screenshot_20200530-100151_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200530-100126_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The torque specs are almost the same and hp just a little less with gas
Sure... but not at the same rpms!

They say there is no substitute for one's own experience.... It only takes a couple of hours to replace a transmission in a Deuce, so go ahead and try it out.
Oh, and leave the floor tunnel cover removed and all tools handy - because you might want to go back to the original, that same day...

fleetmech

I own both a mutifuel deuce and a civilian Diamond Reo truck with a very healthy 331/ 3052 and I can say 100% that no matter what the charts say, the 331 makes nowhere near the power of the multi. My 331 is a '69 and rated at 171 hp... at a comical, rod throwing 3600 rpm. I would not want to be in the same county as that engine over, say, 3200. Granted mine is a very heavy, extra long straight rig, but its only good for about 25-30mph up hills and 45-50 on flat ground. Thats with a 2 speed axle with 8.5:1 (ish) in low.

Owning both trucks, its a theoretical "what if" I kicked around, but it probably wouldn't be worth it. You could probably hit 5th on long gentle downhill stretches and maybe run on flat ground for a bit at 55... I guess I would do it if I blew the 3052, had a spare 3053 and needed to run it, but I don't think I'd invest in buying parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks