• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spicer 5 Speed in an A3

jesusgatos

For what? An Allison? Imagine it would be a LOT cheaper to swap-in some kind of compatible manual transmission from a medium-duty truck. Haven't started researching it yet, but imagine I'll end up going that way eventually (instead of just installing an OD kit).

goodguyzy

im sure with all the A3's being liquidated there are going to be a lot of people swapping out the slow dog tranny with something else, would love to get something faster for cheap.

ranchhopper

When I put the spicer 6453 in my bobbed deuce I made an adapter plate that bolted a jack shaft from a five ton truck to the stock deuce transfer case. The five ton jackshaft is shorter than the stock deuce jackshaft so I didnt end up moving the transfer case back the automatic was 32 inches long but the manual was 28 inches long still quite a bit longer than the stock deuce trans.

Attachments

Last edited:

ranchhopper

The trans is a brand new 6453 it is for the 809 series trucks it was new in the can when I bought it. I used it because the turbocharged cat puts out 250 HP I didnt think the deuce trans would hold together. Theres a build thread on it here somewhere putting a 3208 in a bobbed deuce.

spicergear

Nice repower! I like the CAT 1160 225hp NA in my deuce crane truck. Decent engines but got the label 'throw away' since they're not 'liner' engines and can't be rebuilt in-chassis. But, they seem very comfy to spin 2700-2800 all day long. [thumbzup]

ranchhopper

They got a bad name because they were put into trucks that were too heavy and driver abuse or ignorance put an early end to them. I had one in a 77 six wheeler it ran great never had a problem with it but I took the time to educate myself on the dos and donts when operating them.

Allison 1545 currently in the A3:

302 lb dry
~27" long
Gears:
1st-3.45:1
2nd-2.25:1
3rd-1.41:1
4th-1:1
Rev-5.02:1

Example: Allison 2500 series:
330 lbs dry
~29" long

1st-3.51:1
2nd-1.90:1
3rd-1.44:1
5th-0.74:1
6th-0.64:1
Rev-5.09:1

Example: Allison MD3060:
575 lbs dry
~29" long

1st-3.49:1
2nd-1.86:1
5th-0.75:1
6th-0.65:1
Rev-5.03:1

The 2500 series is almost the same size as what's currently in the truck & is far superior with respect to strength, torque, & gearing. And you're only giving up 30 lbs. Plus, your truck is already plumbed for an automatic tranny.

If you line it up carefully you might even be able to keep the TC where it is & chop 2" out of the intermediate shaft, or have a driveline shop make a custom flange-to-flange adapter from the tranny to the TC.
This is very informative and I thank you for that. I have been searching the threads for some time now on how to get more speed out of my A3 and I hope that we are on a winner here. All of the other threads have just died as it seams that no one who has successfully accomplished an A3 tranny swap or mod for more speed has yet to definitively describe it. So... how much of what you have described is a guestimate and or how confident are you that a either of the above described transmissions would actually work? I really hope to make this mod soon but need some more info before I start.

Last edited:

Hoefler

I too have searched for a solution. I have also looked underneath the truck, replacing transmission is easier said than done.
Got to thinking.
To make engine run slower at speed, the ratio of engine to final drive needs to go down, so...
A small gear multiplier mounted to the input side of the Rockwell's would do it. Given the ratio is going up, torque would go down. Building a small gear multiplier would involve two gears-big one and small one. These two gears would mount in a housing-even a built up housing made of carbon steel. It would function much like a Hallibrad quick change. Gearing could be easily changed for optimum engine speed. Ouveson offers a complete gear change set up, but is limited to a steep ratio change. Add on small gear multipliers could mount right to axel-there are plenty of spaces to secure it to pumpkin. Oil could be circulated trhough it with a hose to main axel housing. I will look at box and rating size to do this and see if it is viable.
Pete

sierra117

I was thinking that a eaton fuller 9 speed might work looks to be about the right size and some I have talked to say it would bolt to the cat 3116.2cents

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...................would involve two gears-big one and small one. These two gears would mount in a housing-even a built up housing made of carbon steel. ......
And....... end up with having a real slow forward- high (when selecting "R") but being the fastest Deuce in the world (running backwards... :razz:)

G.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
some people just don't get it. there is no other manual trans that will fit other than the 3053. if there was i would not have spent 4 years and thousands of $$$ on od gear project.
it is the cheapest and probably best way to get from slow to fast.
tom

jaymcb

Allison 1545 currently in the A3:

302 lb dry
~27" long
Gears:
1st-3.45:1
2nd-2.25:1
Rev-5.02:1

Example: Allison 2500 series:
330 lbs dry
~29" long

1st-3.51:1
2nd-1.90:1
3rd-1.44:1
5th-0.74:1
6th-0.64:1
Rev-5.09:1

Example: Allison MD3060:
575 lbs dry
~29" long

1st-3.49:1
2nd-1.86:1
5th-0.75:1
6th-0.65:1
Rev-5.03:1

The 2500 series is almost the same size as what's currently in the truck & is far superior with respect to strength, torque, & gearing. And you're only giving up 30 lbs. Plus, your truck is already plumbed for an automatic tranny.

If you line it up carefully you might even be able to keep the TC where it is & chop 2" out of the intermediate shaft, or have a driveline shop make a custom flange-to-flange adapter from the tranny to the TC.
Has anyone done an Allison 2500? I'd LOVE 2 more gears, and to keep the auto so my wife could drive it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks