• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

spin on fuel filter

Skinny

A quick tip is to thread the line into the pump before tightening the pump down. Makes life a lot easier.

I am putting an M1010 6.2 into my Suburban right now and prepping everything. An AC Delco pump off Rockauto was about $25 so not too expensive. Since you already have a lot of the lines off, I would highly recommend just replacing all the flex hoses, sending unit, and filter assembly. You will thank yourself later. It's additional cost but you eliminate all fuel issues down the road as long as your IP and injectors are good.

GentleGiant

Thanks for all replies,

I have the old pump off... new one comes in to NAPA at noon today. I could not see any sort of pushrod.... but my pump looks like this:

fuel pump 011.jpg fuel pump 019.jpg

That arm seems to be pinned in place. Is that some kind of new built-in pushrod? Or do I need to remove that and put it on the new pump?

Thanks,
GentleGiant

cucvrus

I would remove the cover plate that is still attached to the lower block. Clean that up real well and replace the gasket. You will find the push rod then. I use the gasket and Permatex the right stuff. Do as you wish. My way works and I NEVER have any leaks. So to each his own. When the push rod falls out just grease it up and push it back up in there as far as it will go. Reassemble and only tighten everything after you have everything started and not cross threaded. Good Luck report back. The clock is ticking.

GentleGiant

Pump installed... definitely not the easiest location, but we've had success. I have more and more respect for mechanics.

I'm going to let that Permatex cure 24 hours (I called Permatex and that's the cure time they specify) and see if the system will prime and the truck will start up this weekend.

Very grateful for all the help and will let you all know the final result.

Thanks,
GentleGiant

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully the napa one will last.

I used a off the shelf one at oreilys just to get it going since they didn't carry Acdelco in stock
Was anxious to get it running and bought the cheap brand.

It Lasted a whole two weeks.

Ordered a ACDelco online from Amazon and installed it.
Yes it's a total PITA to replace these. Need 3 hands and plenty of patience.

That was over a year ago and almost 15,000 miles.
Still going strong.

Last edited:

GentleGiant

Vroom! She starts. That's great. And no leaks that I can see.

It was down to the wire... dark and windy and starting to rain... supposed to be snow tonight.

One concern: the GEN 1 light will not go off now. That's GEN 2 by the fuel pump, isn't it? but I didn't remove it anyway. Don't think I did anything with any wiring, except the pink IP solenoid wire, which is back on now.

Ideas about that GEN 1 light??

Thanks,
GentleGiant

GentleGiant

I guess, in keeping with this being a fuel related thread, my question is properly, "could this GEN 1 light be related to what I just did - replace fuel pump?" I did drain and re-charge the batteries several times in cranking to try to get fuel to the bleeder... Can't think what else would be electrical that I did.

Or do I have a NEW problem on my hands now?!?

Thanks,
GentleGiant

cucvrus

Are the belts squealing? If they are you have to get them tight or replace them. If not the alternator is in need of a rebuild. Check your wires and make sure they are tight. And Generator 1 has its own ground. Check that wiring and the belt and then report back.indexgrinch smiling.jpgGood Luck. Happy Holidays.