• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spindle / Spindle Nut Question

Vapor Trail

There’s A LOT of talk about spindle nuts variations but no where does anyone I can find mention on their product or in the manuals about the thread size and pitch. I need to buy a die and chase my threads. Does anyone know the thread pitch size for the spindle

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There’s A LOT of talk about spindle nuts variations but no where does anyone I can find mention on their product or in the manuals about the thread size and pitch. I need to buy a die and chase my threads. Does anyone know the thread pitch size for the spindle
ModMafia makes Blue Hummer safety spindle nuts. Dave Breggin sold the company to them. They should both know. They are on the hummer network... H1 and HMMWV section.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Often times you can fix a "boogered" thread with a knife edge file. The cutting edge on that sort of file comes down to less than 1/8th of an inch and you can carefully clean up the threads if you take your time.

Another idea is a thread chaser that does the same job as the knife edge file - but has the other "thread paths" so it doesn't require your cleanup to be as precise. Picture below shows multiple thread options...

1698008352276.png

Guyfang

Staff member
A full set of files are a must. I have 5 sets. One in the basement, one on my tool wall in the garage and one in every portable tool box in the garage. But then my tool boxes are full of stuff that might not get used, but sure nice to have. When one of the apprentices was on the crapola list, punishment was to carry my tool box for the poor old man.

Vapor Trail

The nut threads down onto the spindle all the way except for one thread from reaching the tab washer. I have not forced it on. I have inspected the thread with a magnifying glass and there’s no visible damage down there. I was going to buy a thread die and run over it but no one knows the thread pitch or diameter. Someone else very experienced suggested running a die over it might make it unsafe which I never considered but taking material away might. The problem is if I don’t get it fixed I have to buy a new bearing a new spindle and 500 dollars of paint to make it match the other three and that’ll set me back weeks

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The nut threads down onto the spindle all the way except for one thread from reaching the tab washer. I have not forced it on. I have inspected the thread with a magnifying glass and there’s no visible damage down there. I was going to buy a thread die and run over it but no one knows the thread pitch or diameter. Someone else very experienced suggested running a die over it might make it unsafe which I never considered but taking material away might. The problem is if I don’t get it fixed I have to buy a new bearing a new spindle and 500 dollars of paint to make it match the other three and that’ll set me back weeks
One thing, it needs to thread by hand all the way to the tab washer or the torque setting (preload) will not be correct.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks