• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spitter valves for air tanks

Oldgrunt

My Bro Kipman and I were discussing replacing the hard to reach petcocks on the air tanks with the pull type valves like I use to put on my big trucks. Anyone put these on and did you have any problems.
P.S. Won the bid on my first duce with the help of Kipman, hope the paper work won't take long. Will make sure to take plenty of pics.

DanMartin

I have the kit for this (ebay) but have not put them on yet. Looks pretty complete with no drilling or anything needed.

I think my only concern is the use of 90 degree elbow fittings for the valves. Pulling on the cable might over time loosen the fittings (pull them to one side). I haven't put it on yet to find out, so it's just a hypothetical problem.

I'll let you know when I get the kit on (should be soon) if there are any issues.

BEASTMASTER

yep i put one on my beast,no more crawling under to turn the petcock.just yank the cable till all the moisture is out and let go.got it hooked to the running board :driver:

cbvet

I have them on a Deuce & think they're great!
They're just a spring-closed valve that you pull the stem on to drain.
I need another kit for Deuce II.
Eric
CBVET

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
The only problem I had when putting mine on was the large rut I left in the front lawn from the wheel and dead grass from the oil that came out of the tank when I unscrewed the old valve. Other than that they are great!

alphadeltaromeo

I have them on my deuce and dont have a 90 degree...just straight down like they are supposed to go. They work very well and make letting the air out simple (not that it was hard) just more pleasant to do.

alphadeltaromeo

I'll add that I've let the deuce sit for a few days and have pulled the cord without any air in the tanks. I found that after I didn't have any air in the tanks, the water settled (all the condensation) and I was surprised at how much water came out by gravity. I'd suggest this on a regular basis.

YankeeDuece

I have a set on my deuce. I found that in the winter months the gasket that reseats on the valve after purging the air can freeze open. Similar to the blowvalves on the USS Scorpion. Anyway, after the initial draining additional moisture from the tanks accumulate on the valves and freeze them solid.

They work great on the warmer months and are easy to use and install. Although,I am considering reinstalling the old manual drain valves because I do use my truck in the winter and don't want to hear the low-air buzzer or drive with one eye on the pressure guage.

steelandcanvas

I got a set I have yet to install, I didn't get any directions but I thought it was pretty straight forward task. Where are you supposed to fasten the rings attatched to the cables? Running board? Pioneer rack?

alphadeltaromeo

Where ever you so desire...but just keep in mind that if they get caught under the wheel by coming loose, etc. you'll be in a world of hurt if the valves get mucked up or ripped out. I'd think that the cable crimps would give first...but that's never a given right.

DanMartin

Just in case, I will be saving the old drain valves and carrying them with me in case something happens to the new pull ones. They are small and will fit in my tool box that I carry around in the tool compartment.

The kit that I got was pretty complete and looks like it's well made, so I'm not too worried about parts failing.