• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Splicing in Trailer Light Connector into the existing trailer light connector

Jack Lope

I know I had seen a thread where someone had done this, but I can't seem to find it now. I want to splice in a simple trailer light connector into the existing trailer connector. All I need is to know the positive and negative wires. This is for a lighted license plate adapter I need to pass inspection. The plan is to plug the license plate holder into the trailer lights, so it's controlled by the same light switches and blackout setup.
I'm still searching, but haven't found the info I need yet. Do you know which wires I'll need to splice into or can you point me to a thread that maybe has pictures? I love the pics.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With no information and a few minutes effort, you could turn on your parking lights and simply pull one connector at a time apart. When the tail light goes out, there's the wire!

Or you could look in the technical manual. It has schematics with wire numbers. All the wires have number tags on the ends.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jack I am going to make an recommendation.

Since you have so many questions, you need to keep all of them in the same thread instead of starting a new one for each question. You have already asked us to delete a few of them already as you got the answer in your main thread. That takes time and effort to delete.

Also by keeping all your questions in the same thread, everyone will be on the same page as to what has been tried, recommended and tested.

Last edited:

mightybaldone

Maybe a different approach but I removed the trailer connector on the vehicle, soldered in three additional wires for brakes, reverse light, and battery charge. Then used a plug that is like the one on the truck to for the new three wires to make it look factory. Since a MV trailer plug only uses 8 of the 12 pins this worked well. Bought a new trailer plug and wired it to the a 7/5/4 connector using 7 wire trailer wire. Now I just use the adapter I made and I can run with a trailer with either 7, 5, or 4 trailer plugs and not worry about a bunch of splices.

Keith_J

I did something opposite, I got a military trailer harness, then made an adapter for various trailer connectors with bullet connections. I marked the plugs with embosser, then wrapped with clear heatshrink. Now, all that has to be done is plug the harness into the truck's receptacle and plug the trailer adapter into the harness.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks