• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Split Rim Safety

BEASTMASTER

a split rim IS a 2 piece rim . it is 2 halves that go together and they should be and outlawed. military rims are split ring rims. if that safety ring is installed right it won't hurt you. if you don't know what you're doing, DON'T don't attemp it.

dependable

Have to admit I have had trucks with scketchy multi piece rims, including true split rims with center band on a 1965 C-60. I made this rig up when I had to deal with split rims. Has a locking chuck. When I had to inflate a tire on a suspect rim I would put air hose between chuck and inflater so I could stand well away.

While this is no replacement for tire cage or professional knowledge (including on knowing when to junk a rusty rim) This is better than standing next to it wondering if you are going to blow your head off.

Attachments

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a friend tow a car in years ago that was in the # 2 lane of a 4 lane freeway here.
A semi was in the # 4 lane and his l/f ring blew off and went across the # 3 lane hit the r/s window and post of the car,slced it in two and went on throught the windshield.
The ring went past the #1 lane hit the center devider and took a chip out of it.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This isn't really what I'd call a split rim. Most small lawnmower type tires air made like this. They are so small that you can't hardly get the tire over the rim without the rim coming apart. With good bolts and the low pressures involved, I'd say these are fairly safe. My newer Kubota lawnmower has bolt together rims.
After seeing the pic I agree. I don't know why they panicked when they saw it.

That split rim looks dangerous from here.

M715VFD405

I worked on tires when I was a teen and in the first shop I worked in there was a new patch in the roof where a split ring had went through the roof no one was hurt but the lesson was learned fast seeing the damage it caused. A few years later in a competitors tire shop the owner was working on another split ring and it took the top of his head off while he did live through it he had brain damage and was in a coma for over a year. The only problem I ever had with split ring tires was when I was working on a tire that was off a piece of machinery that used, used tires off a 747 The rims were prolly 3/4 to an inch thick solid steel and prolly weighed about 400 lbs each I was using a chain hoist to lower the larger section of the rim into the tire I had slack in the chain and lifted the rim to get it in, it fell into place catching both sets of my fingers under the rim crushing the tips of all 8 fingers between the rim and tire. I had to call for a few mins before help came to lift it off my hands and I had no feeling in my finger tips for over a week. I learn a good lesson there lol. While I have no fear of working on split rims or split ring tires I won't ever lose the respect for them and the danger they pose it's so easy to secure them with a chain or in a cage it's madness to try and do them without some kinda of safety equipment involved. Use your head or lose it in this case. Be safe and if you don't feel up to doing it right pay someone who will. :beer:

Lextreme

I wonder how much pressure it was applied. If we keeping at the recommended psi it might cause that type of damage.

I wanted to bump this thread because I think there is a lot of great info on tire safety.

I had a question; are the lock rings most likely to blow off after a tube / tire change or can it happen at any time? I was given a mounted tire that had no air in it, I just want to make sure I take all the steps I should before I try to inflate it and check for leaks.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most likely to fail after a tire change on it's first inflation.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The critical component is to make sure lock ring and rim are free from rust so when reassembled friction will do its job metal to metal and not rust / dirt to metal. Eyeball ring to make sure it is straight and fully seated.

Use inflation cage or less desirable but use a piece of chain with a quick link around the rim and lock ring so the lock ring can not projectile as freely with a clip on air chuck!

armytruck63

I had a tire shop mount a 9:00-20 tire on a deuce wheel for me. I noticed the tech not using a safety cage (they had one), so I went into the waiting room and watched wrestling on their tiny TV. I was half expecting to hear a big boom, but the guy got away with it somehow.

Captaincarrier

Early 60's I took the place of a guy that loss his life to these tires. In Wilmington Ohio on 3C highway we worked at a truck stop, Betty Janes Truck Stop. I changed tires daily it seemed and the fear was in you every minute while handling those brutes. Glad to say I never had an incident, very glad.

I had a tire shop mount a 9:00-20 tire on a deuce wheel for me. I noticed the tech not using a safety cage (they had one), so I went into the waiting room and watched wrestling on their tiny TV. I was half expecting to hear a big boom, but the guy got away with it somehow.
In the shop I used work in if someone didn't use a cage for a tube type tire they probably would have been fired, it is serious stuff
I have changed hundreds of tires and not one has come apart ever. When I got my deuce and started changing tires again I bought a cage, It is not worth the risk! Be safe!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this split rim in with my other tires . this rim that just hooks together and is the rim that is banned .
This is the wheel that instills all the fear about tube type tires. While split ring tires can and have come off and killed people, the split rim is the one that has the most casualties. These things are very dangerous any time air is in the tire.

I saw the aftermath of one of these split rim tires coming apart on a loaded log truck in the woods. The outer half of the wheel came off the truck and sliced completely through a 6" popular tree.

Even tubeless tires have a certain amount of danger inflating without a cage. A coworker of mine was airing up a 11.00-24.5 tubeless tire on a truck in our shop. The sidewall blew and threw him back about 10' into a block wall. The concussion was so big it felt like my ear drums were going to burst and I was at least 30' away from it. It also blew out two windows in the shop that were 40' away. Luckily, the coworker only suffered two black eyes and a new respect for tires.

Jeepsinker

I think I'm going to take mine to a tire shop too. I have some 11.00 NDT on five ton rims that I need to swap onto deuce rims, but I've yet to be able to get the tire to slip off the bead so I could get the ring off, and I'm using the loader on a 60 horse John Deere pushing down on it.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have any problem changing tire on deuce rims, but I add a 50' section to the end of the tire pressure gauge. I can be within eyesite to see when it seats, but far enough way that I'm out of the line of fire. That and the chain give a nice safety factor. Don't forget safety glasses and even a hard hat.

wdbtchr

A little graveyard humor: On the up side that cage can now be used for much wider tires after it's field adjustment.:rolleyes: I've never changed a split-ring tire, I'm too big a chicken.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks