• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SPLIT RIMS

deuceman51

Was just wondering how you guys go about changing tires on the deuces. Has anyone had any trouble with the split rims on their deuces. I am always hearing horror stories about people getting killed by split rims even when they are doing things the right way. The ring flies off and dismembers people or kills them most of the time. Any comments, ideas, or stories to tell on them?

Longhunter7

deuceman51,

Try the "search" feature at the top right of the main Forum page!

This topic was covered in great depth in the Deuce section of the Forum, and you should be able to find the thread! :cool:

MVtrucker

Unless somebody switched wheels, you have split rings, not wheels. Big difference and most tire shops around here won't work on split rims. If you saw one, you'd know why.

MVtrucker

Tony,
They're a weird wheel, for sure. I've worked with them many a time. That was quite a while ago, back in the nineteen-fifties when our small fleet of heating oil delivery trucks were mostly from the forties and we did all of our own tire work. I emphasize work.

deuceman,
One thing's for sure, if they were doing everything right, the wheels would not have come apart. Among other things, the wheel and ring must be clean and true. I have no problem with chucking suspect wheels and rings on my scrap pile.
I once witnessed a split ring blow that was still on a truck and was being inflated after being driven on while flat. Apparently, the ring had shifted.

Lance Corporal

Use a chain through each rim hole wraping it around the tire from hole to hole. Inflate tire to where it only brings lock ring in contact with the rim. (STOP) Tap lock and rim to seat it thouroughly around all sides checking to be sure that same amount of ring shows even all around. Inflate slightly more and use same proceedure. at about 10 PSI give ring a few brisk smaks with a 5 lb hammer. Check the split in the ring. It should be touching or almost. If not---deflate and start over. Do not remove chain until fully inflated -and- you've given the rim and ring a few more good smacks. I use an angle inflater on a 3 foot 1/4 npt water pipe to keep hands away from the wheel in case the ring snaps off. Even under the chain the ring will break fingers or wrist at a very short travel. I leave the chain on even while installing the wheel on the vehicle. If it hasn't come off and killed me by then, it wont come off and she's a keeper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks