• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Split shift transfer lever extension

Shirehorse

I don't have to lean to get it any differently than say, checking my mirrors. Splitting in this fashion is not only the way I was taught to do in the military, but is also the way my truck feels the happiest. Both the transfer case and transmission slide in and out almost effortlessly.

When I downshift, I typically work my way down through the high gears to a stop, unless it's needed for hill ascent/descent (4th high to 5th low). I usually only put it in low range when stopped to work my way back up.

1H is the most neglected gear in my transmission.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea some of my trucks have no problem shifting the transfer case and some as you said easy slip and slide. I try not to down shift but just let off well in advance and just make the correct down shift to the gear that carries me through the turn. To me first gear is a deep reduction and used when the ground is stealing my torque or fording. I would leave it in first low till I get to solid ground and the truck can handle the up shifts. Also first gear low is used along with the winch in slow forward to help with extraction. I do use low range when off road or the ground is bad and I want my speeds to stay low but power is up.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yea Ron when I drive the 816 I do run out all low range gears to help get her moving and reduce stress. I have a non overdrive trans for the 5 ton but just have not wanted to swap it out and give it a try.
James, I know this is a SPLIT shift thread, but adding to my shifting post, I also dropped my fuel button from 27 to 22, this also helped a lot with the hole between 3rd and 4th. The reason I went to split shifting is that I lost a clutch, pulled the rivets out of the drive hub, I was told that about the only way to do that is constant overload., so started to split shift, need to try to find a twin clutch setup that will fit. For those that do not know what a twin disk clutch is , It has TWO clutch disks with a floating metal disk between the two load disks, as you can see, this spreads the load between TWO disks instead of one, I have heard of a tri disk clutch for EXTREME heavy loads but have never seen one.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks