• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spotted an M1078 LMTV with a camper on the back

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was fishing out on Cape Lookout (NC outer banks) and spotted an LMTV with a camper on the back. My dad had sent me a picture of it earlier in the week and then when I got over to fish we spotted it on the south end rolling right along in the sand. I introduced myself and met member darekorocz. He isn't much of a computer person so he hasn't posted anything on here, but did say he has read through some of the threads. Super nice guy. We talked about the trucks briefly. The camper is one that he modified; I believe it was a 5th wheel type. You can't tell from this picture but he also added an under-bed tool box and some other odds and ends. He kept the factory truck bed and he can remove the camper. I wanted to share this in case it gives any of you some ideas or inspiration. While this isn't an extreme custom build, it does present a cheaper option to get a camper on there if you aren't as worried about overall size and stuff. There have been some discussions about converting FMTV's to RV's so I thought I would share.
LMTV_Camper.jpg

coachgeo

looks great. the manufacturer of the camper body appears to be Passport. Their construction signature is a very slanted curved nose on both their 5th wheels and their Bumper Pull trailers.He had to customize the shiat out of an existing Passport trailer to end up with that. Would require completely rebuild of the whole nose end to look like that... or it really is not a Passport camper..... and the builder just liked that name and commandeered a Passport Logo sticker?

Dude has some skills Kudo's. looks great

Was the spare in normal location on Passenger side?

PS- My Edits and Oxyaceteline's post below got posted same time

Last edited:

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looks great. the manufacturer of the camper body appears to be Passport. Their construction signature is a very slanted curved nose on both their 5th wheels and their Bumper Pull trailers. Suspect either they built that box for the owner custom or he had to customize the shiat out of an existing trailer... as it would require a completely rebuild of the whole nose end to look like that... or it realy is not a Passport camper..... and the builder just liked commandeered a Passport Logo sticker?

Either way.... Kudo's. looks great

Was the spare in normal location on Passenger side?
He modified an existing Passport camper. You can't really tell from the low quality pic, but he cut it and filled in with sheet metal on the front, and where the wheel wells were. The spare tire is in the existing location. He cut the camper so it fits on the existing cargo bed.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Must have been some serious hacking to keep the spare in its stock location. I would like to see that one up close! That guy has some skills.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks