• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sprag Adjustment for 5 tons

LC

I was wondering if the 5 ton had an adjustment procedure like the 2 1/2 ton does. I know the 5 ton is controlled by the air valves on the transmission, but didn't find anything on it in the manual. Our five ton doesn't kick the front wheels in until the rears are digging in. I'm new here so sorry if this has been covered before.

Thanks

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
LC - dunno what you mean by digging in - but the design is that the front wheels are not powered until the rear wheels are slipping.

Both five tons, and the early M35 have two sprags - one for forward, and another for reverse. The selector between forward and reverse is controlled by a linkage on the M35 - if it is not properly adjusted then you may not have front wheel drive when you need it. On the five ton, the selection of the reverse sprag is controlled by air - that's the nice "THUNK-SLAP" you hear when you shift into reverse with a five ton - and why you should never try to move a 5 ton backwards without the air up and the transmission in reverse.

Hope this clarifies.

Regards,
David Doyle

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have got to find out more on this. are you telling me that most of the time my front end is not pulling. that would be nice , is this on all 5 tons i have a wrecker Tim

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Yes, if your wrecker is a M543 - or, if like mine, a M62, or even an 800 series, then no, the front end is not pulling until the rear end slips, then it hooks up.

David

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
its a M816 now that is great, i have been thinking about the wear and tear. and maybe looking into a air hook up to ingage the front end, many thanks Tim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks