• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sprag Clutch Rebuild / Repair

PackRatWrecker

Anybody got a T136-21 breakdown, or pics of a rebuild job? I'd like to pull the front cover off & see what I need to fabricate to make a part-time case. I've already got $600 in lockouts, which it appears, are now realistically useless.

OR...Anybody got a pic of what came in the Memphis REB kit?

rflegal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to highjack, but I too have a sprag...seems to work OK but... :jumpin:am fascinated by the REB kit and understand they're no longer available. Anyone got one on the shelf somewhere , or one that could be a take-out? I know you need to replace the gears so there's no longer a difference front-to-rear. If they still made the kit, I'd buy one...

JasonS

Not to highjack, but I too have a sprag...seems to work OK but... :jumpin:am fascinated by the REB kit and understand they're no longer available. Anyone got one on the shelf somewhere , or one that could be a take-out? I know you need to replace the gears so there's no longer a difference front-to-rear. If they still made the kit, I'd buy one...
I have a low mileage REB kit. PM me if you are interested.

PackRatWrecker

As it turns out, I got lucky. The guy I got my Deuce from had an airshift t-case laying on the ground, out of another truck. Got a smokin deal on it.

Great. 1 more thing I gotta do, before it's roadworthy.aua

budman67

I am not sure I am following you guys correctly,are you saying
you don't have 6x6 going forward.I am also not sure,but when
place the T-case in 6x6 or 4x4,the front drive shaft runs the
front wheels?

I did not notice in the operators man. air or spang,if someone
could explain please to help me understand?

41cl8m5

This is an old thead. anyway,

Budman67, the first 2 1/2 tons had a sprag in the transfer case to help out with engaging the front axle if there is slip between the primary drive (rear axles). So if you were in snow or mud and the rear axles started to move more than the front axle the sprag would engage to give some power to the front axle helping to get you moving farward or backward. only issue was that if you let yuor vehical roll backward on dry conditions the sprag would engage and rip itself apart. Therefore you would have no engagement of your front axle until the sprag is reajusted or replaced. The military changed to the air engagement system to elimiate this issue. the air system works like it should and you also have an indication that the front axle is engaged. The older system has no indication that it is working until you realy need it and it is not.

Hope I got it right. I have a sprag setup and I think its not working but I only use my duece for parades and when it nice out.

jmoylan69

This is an old thead. anyway,

Budman67, the first 2 1/2 tons had a sprag in the transfer case to help out with engaging the front axle if there is slip between the primary drive (rear axles). So if you were in snow or mud and the rear axles started to move more than the front axle the sprag would engage to give some power to the front axle helping to get you moving farward or backward. only issue was that if you let yuor vehical roll backward on dry conditions the sprag would engage and rip itself apart. Therefore you would have no engagement of your front axle until the sprag is reajusted or replaced. The military changed to the air engagement system to elimiate this issue. the air system works like it should and you also have an indication that the front axle is engaged. The older system has no indication that it is working until you realy need it and it is not.

Hope I got it right. I have a sprag setup and I think its not working but I only use my duece for parades and when it nice out.
41cl8, that's about how Gringletaube explained it to me, with only 1 minor difference, you rolled back while the transmission was in a forward gear with foot on the clutch you got sprag windup. in that case you had problems.

The way it was explained was the problem was not so much just rolling backwords, it was the fact that the transmission would be in a forward gear and even with the clutch depressed, the way the system was designed, it would make no difference because of the spring loaded shift rods that "inter connected" with the transfer case. mine were way out of adjustment and right now they are working again as Gringle instructed me so im good there now.

this problem would happen regardless of going forward or reverse, so just remember, if your going to depress that clutch in the old M35's, just take the transmission OUT OF GEAR FIRST. put it in neutral or reverse if youre going to roll backword, or low gear if going to roll forward. dont have that clutch depressed like you do on civilian jeeps and 4wd systems.

budman67

I was rereading my Tm on the T-case,it said for more power to
engage in low range,does these sprang clutch allow you to use
the low range without binding up the drive line?

Would changing to an air shift defeat this use but give you true
6x6?

My truck as well has a problem with the forward sprag. Reverse works great even after adjusting to what the TM manual said still no forward sprag. I believe it kicks in every once in a while but definitely not as much as it should. Does anyone have or know where to get a new forward sprag kit so I can replace my old one? What price are they going for?

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMHO, easier to get an air shift t-case and swap it out instead of trying to mess with it. In my case, had to drive 60 miles to see if the sprag worked. After 3 trips, swapped it out, never looked back.....well, sorta, wish I still had my tuck :(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks