• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sprag conversion

odnorth

Looking at a local truck that has a sprag transfer case that has a handle on the floor to engage the front axle, has anyone had any experience with this conversion, just want to know if it is dependable, l read some older posts about Memphis Equipment making a kit years ago, but that was it.

Thanks Rob

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jtonka I believe has one. REB kit, for the sprag, converts it to manual engagement, and made by memphis. From what I've heard, people like them. Don't have any other info for you.

Dennis

jatonka

It is a REB kit for the sprag unit replacement in a deuce transfer case. All done in the "top hat" remove the sprag unit, install new gear and shaft, control lever and have true selectable all wheel drive when you want it. They stopped building them a while ago, I hope with enough requests from deuce owners, they may make them again. Some think it's smarter to just replace the sprag transfer with an airshift transfer. that's good for the guys who already own them, and who don't mind such a heavy miserable job, but some people would not be able to handle changing a transfer case. And how many extra airshifts are out there? JT

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a REB kit for the sprag unit replacement in a deuce transfer case. All done in the "top hat" remove the sprag unit, install new gear and shaft, control lever and have true selectable all wheel drive when you want it. They stopped building them a while ago, I hope with enough requests from deuce owners, they may make them again. Some think it's smarter to just replace the sprag transfer with an airshift transfer. that's good for the guys who already own them, and who don't mind such a heavy miserable job, but some people would not be able to handle changing a transfer case. And how many extra airshifts are out there? JT
jt,

Have you driven both sprag and shifted trucks? Besides having the confidence of controlling the shift, does it make a difference for usage?

Rick

jatonka

I have driven all three setups extensively. The sprag unit original M35 type transfer case always leaves me wondering if it's going to engage, and if I roll backwards a few inches with the clutch down and it in a forward gear am I gonna ruin the sprag unit? The first truck I bought was a sprag unit M35A1, It did not work, we tested it in the shop with left wheel jacked up and it tested good. Took it to work and it NEVER worked at all.
The airshift transfer is just great, easy to engage, works every time and has indicator light to remind you of it being engaged. As if the steering wheel walking in your hands on hard top turns wouldn't remind you to disengage.
The REB kit is the same as the airshift, but with a lever through the floor to engage and no dash indicator light to remind you.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree with JT.

Just might add that the biggest difference or gain in performance for both air shift - and mod. sprag T-cases comes from now having equal speed (= better traction) to all 3 axles. (Remember even if working perfectly the sprag TC makes the fronts turning 8% slower than the rears!)
Compared to the -27 airshift a REB kit converted sprag TC has one extra gear set allways engaged and turning which might add about half a dB to the already existing 95+.....!:smile:

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks