• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sprag substitutes?

big daddy

OK I've read every post on transfercases, so heres my question. Can the sprags be welded, pinned, bolted, or somehow made permanently fixed then maybe run some lockout hubs or desplined hubs to seperate the drivetrain? It seems as big a pain as these sprags are that maybe someone has tried this? Mine is playing the sometimes it works sometimes it don't game also.If not then whats a used air shift transfercase run and is it a direct bolt in? I'm sure some knows if this is possible, THANKS !!!

spicergear

I was told by an ex army guy that the when the sprag is acting on and off, it (or the linkage) needs adjusted.

I didn't feel like doing that either and when a T-case came around with a REB kit I got it.

jasonjc

NO you can not weld the sprag!!!

The front and rear out puts spin at diffrent speeds. They fight each other and bad things WILL happen.

monster ford

I don't think it will be a big difference in rotation specially since this is just for off road use only and wnt see any pavement.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't think it will be a big difference in rotation specially since this is just for off road use only and wnt see any pavement.
Maybe for you, but not for everyone. That is a bit of info that needs to be posted if someone is thinking of doing this mod.

To the OP, have you taken the forwar/reverse piston apart and checked the seal? Maybe it just needs some oil. Never know till you look.

monster ford

See it works in reverse not forward so my sprags are messed up or out of align so if I weld them it will be perminit 4*4 in reverse or forward

monster ford

Well see there's 3 sprag 2 inners and an outer the first and last are for forward and I believe middle is for reverse and the fork moves the sprag to engage it in reverse so if I weld it it should lock every thing in but not completley for sure yet talking to a guy from a shop might just machine a gear that is one pice that will replace the 3

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you find that it is NOT out of adjustment and is still not working properly, I suggest just replacing the sprag. They are fine when working. Once you replace the sprag, just follow the manual and it will give you years of reliable use.

monster ford

See but it's in my mudd truck that I'm runing on a Duce frame and I dnt like the idea of having to have the rear tiers having to spin 7% faster then front before it locks in and then if I want to go in reverse I have to actuate it backwards

m139h2otruck

Are we talking about a 5 ton or a deuce?? The 5 tons are air shifted forward to reverse and the deuce is air locked in or out. The deuce is just like a '60s or '70s 4x4 pickup with the front and rear locked together when in four wheel drive. The 5 ton is always engaged, with the front drive at a slightly different rate so the sprag or overrun clutch does not engage until the rear tires start to over take the front in speed (slip). The air shifter only shifts the forward to reverse sprags not the engagement. If you went to the bother (big job) to weld the sprags solid, the truck would be undrivable on or off road.

jasonjc

Are we talking about a 5 ton or a deuce?? The 5 tons are air shifted forward to reverse and the deuce is air locked in or out. The deuce is just like a '60s or '70s 4x4 pickup with the front and rear locked together when in four wheel drive. The 5 ton is always engaged, with the front drive at a slightly different rate so the sprag or overrun clutch does not engage until the rear tires start to over take the front in speed (slip). The air shifter only shifts the forward to reverse sprags not the engagement. If you went to the bother (big job) to weld the sprags solid, the truck would be undrivable on or off road.
NO the deuce has a T-case and sprags just like the 5 ton. The deuce uses a likeage between the trans and tranfer to shift the sprag fwd to rev. OR the newer t-cases use air to lock in the front and has no sprag.

It seems to me the OP would be beter off finding a air case.

monster ford

NO you can not weld the sprag!!!

The front and rear out puts spin at diffrent speeds. They fight each other and bad things WILL happen.

Ok so the rear and front drive shaft will spin the same speed it's the lock up ratio that is different kinda like a posie unit in a rear diff.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A sprag is a OVER RUNNING CLUTCH, inside the tcase the front drive turns a bit faster the the rear, when you start to spin the rears, the front drive is now turning SLOWER then the rears, the clutch dogs in the sprag ENGAGE, giving front wheel drive, thay will stay engaged while under load, even after the rears stop spinning until the load is dumped like clutching while shifting ect., If you DON't dump the load on HARD road, where the front CAN't slip, you WILL break the sprag clutch or something else in the tcase because of the slightly different speeds of the parts (inner/outer) of the sprag (over running clutch)

Hope this helps

monster ford

Ok the gear ratio is the same it's the lock up ratio that is different. If the gear ratio was different u would have to have different gears in ur diffs. So it take more Rpms to make the front output to spin then the rear so the teeth count on the gears are different it's like how a posi unit works one tire has to spin faster then the other in order for it to kick in but they are the same gear ratio but a different locking ratio. So the drive shafts will spin the same speed but the gears in the transfer case will spin two different speeds.

jasonjc

NO the front out put IS a different gear ratio than the rear out put of the t-case. The diffs have the same grear ratio. The front and rear shafts spin at diferent speeds. That is why you can not weld up the sprag.