• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sprague t-case

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I was done for the eve, but I forgot. The TMs' on CD I have don't go into detail on the t-case. Does anyone have a PDF copy of the t-case rebuild that can be posted, or know where I can buy one? The sprague is non-op in forward, got a good used one so I kind of need some hand holding so I don't screw it up.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM 9-2520-246-34-1 covers the T-136-21 Transfer Case with the overrunning clutch (often called a sprag). Available in the TM section at Steel Soldiers.

Desert Rat

Will,

Convert that sprague to a REB or swap out to air shift. That over-grown boat anchor will ruin the bearings and seals in the hog heads plus mess up the steering linkage between the pitman arm and tie rod ends! This gets extremely expen$$$$ive to repair (voice of experience speaking here)! Spragues in the Deuces bind up the drivetrain and steering components big time.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a vastly different opinion on the sprag cases. I've put thousands of miles on sprag trucks without issue. You'll have problems of they aren't adjusted right or you drive around with the adjutable rod in place with a bad spring inside but i'm not familiar with all that other stuff. Wonder how the gov't got by from 1950 to 68-69 with all those bad transfer cases? Wow, think about all those deuces in 'Nam!

Desert Rat

I'm just speaking from my experiences with 'Storm and Ken's experiences over here in Houston with the FD.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm with Ken here.

The engineering for the overrunning clutch is sound and robust. Repeated failures are only the result of incorrect adjustment, not use. Most I see are incorrectly set up from loose motor mounts or repowers.

ddg

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DR,
I read the posts on the issues you had, that sucks. Yeah, I want to convert it, but, time and $ limit me, plus, to do it, I would need to go to the shop and nobody would leave me alone. I did have a L-R link that had a junk spring, and it sat for a long time, shame on me for not changing fluids. I think i'
ll try the low budget fix first, less than $100.00. I know when it went away, 1 week after I started driving it. It was most likely gummed up from sitting, but, I will be kicking myself in the buttox if, when I put this in it breaks immediatley! Hope that doesn't happen, my knee hurts!

Desert Rat

Good luck Will! I was at the right place at the right time to get my air-shift replacement t-case for $200 complete!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks