• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spraying my M1008 with OD Durabak smooth

Dukeboy

Haven't updated in awhile, had trouble taking an up close pic of the durabak that showed the texture. I'll try again. I've been working on the doors, trying to get seams correct, I underestimated how far off the stampings would be and how much the doors were out of shape. I didn't assemble the truck before painting, that was a mistake. I had to add/remove up to an 1/8" of metal along the seams to get them ok, not show car ok, just enough to not bug me. I think this truck is getting a little too pretty for how I plan on using it already.
I started rebuilding the wind windows and found out I ordered the wrong gasket set. there's a 1 and 2 piece set, mine is the 2 piece. One frame is broken, I'm hoping I can weld it together without issue.
I fabbed a license plate holder out of 3/4 angle and bits with a recessed pocket up top for a strip of LED's, its looks pretty cool. I was unhappy with the Banks air filter housing so I made a simple intake tube with a mount for the CDR on top. filter may look small but it's bigger than the one used in the Banks kit.
Painted stencils on my doors, I used small magnets to hold the interior edges in place, worked pretty well. I have a few more I'm going to paint, combining the military stencils and some homemade ones. My idea for the truck when finished is if there was an "M1008" option back in the 80's for a K30 like Z71 or the baja S10's, ford's raptor, power wagon etc. Like you could of walked into a dealership and ordered one with a turbo option and 35"s. That's the look I'm going for.

Attachments

jdeoliveira74

the dukes of hazzard blazer is pretty cool too!
I am thinking about doing my truck with linex in olive drap! more texture will hide all the terrible body work the previous owner did!

Dukeboy

Thanks again, I looked into Line-x too, that would be the ultimate coating in my opinion. This is the first I've used Durabak on an exterior like this. It's my trial run to see what I'd use on the General when it's complete. I talked to my local Line-x guy about spraying everything including the "01" in line-x and he said if I get stencils cut out of metal he could give it a shot, but it got pricey quick. I may still get pieces (bumpers, flares, etc.) coated in line-x even If I do the rest of the truck in durabak.
If you do get it coated, take lots of pictures.:beer:

Woodsplinter

Dukeboy your truck looks great! Just wondering if its been outside yet and how is the Durabak holding up?
You mentioned you sprayed on using a "1.8" tip- does that mean 1.8 mm?
Thanks!

rickf

You are all missing out on one major thing here. Rust out begins on the INSIDE! In the seams and inner panels where you cannot get to them. All of these rubber coatings you are putting on are great except for one thing, they are going to mask the rust until a big chunk of rubber falls off with nothing left underneath of it.

Rick

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a Rhinolined Navistar truck I saw at SEMA last year...

In the third picture you can see someone actually touching the truck to check out it's over all texture - it was extremely rough to the touch

View attachment 367128

View attachment 367129

View attachment 367130

not a complaint or criticism, to me it still looks a wee bit shiny

not what I was hoping for

has it 'dulled up' any?

interesting idea but I would be concerned about what rickf said, because he is correct, rust is from the inside out. About the only way to stop it in it's tracks (from the inside/back) would be to use POR15 to seal up the interior, paint over that and THEN paint the outside.

looks interesting, but still wondering if it will go dull. compare the interior shots BEFORE you applied this to the inside. You will see a noticeable difference between the original CARC and this stuff. Color is correct, but the 'shiny' part of it puts me off.

I used the Behr house paint on my M1028A2 and I like the results. Correct color and flat, flat, flat paint.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/95664-m1028a2-dually-paint-job.html

rickf

Any vehicle more than a couple of years old is going to have rust in the seams and inner panels somewhere. The only way to eliminate it would be an acid dip where the vehicle is rotated in the acid to eliminate air pockets followed by several neutralizing dips of the same procedure and then a hot galvanizing. I can't even imagine the price! Even worse with what you are doing is the fact that it will hold the water and moisture in the body accelerating the rust. I want paint, as soon as it starts to rust I can see it bubble and address it right then and there.

Dukeboy

Haven't updated in awhile, I'll try to address some of the questions. Truck isn't on the road yet, it is drivable, got some detail stuff left and an electrical gremlin to deal with.

Yes, 1.8mm

The green is UV resistant durabak, the black for inside and underneath is not.

I agree on the shiny comment, I believe it will dull with time, still in the garage though.

Durabak is paint, very durable paint. It's a polyurethane coating, I disagree that it will "hold in" moisture more than any automotive paint. In addition to the new metal that was installed on this truck (fenders-wells-doors-rockers) that was sprayed inside and out, the truck was stripped to the frame, all visible rust removed and coated with rust bullet and then coated over with durabak. All nooks and crannys were also sprayed with eastwood internal frame coating (also green by the way). :-D

bushhawg73

I think it looks great, I am going to do the bed soon in my truck and I think I will go with the OD green textured for the bed. I am also going to do the interior floor in the textured OD Green.

deuce200385

Any updated pics? This thing is awesome. ..how did applying the durabak over rustbullet go? And how has it held up? I wanna coat my trailer and underside of my M1008 with both of those.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks