• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

spring re arching

snakeater

I have heard it mentioned here, but couldn't find any info. who does spring re arching for the deuce springs? Does anyone know if they can arch them so as to lift it, or make a new set of springs that add a little lift? thought about playing with the spring rates and making the bobbed deuce a little more flexible. This is the first avenue I would like to try before trying to match up springs or get something custom made for it. any help is appreciated. Snakeater

grounded

Banned
I have seen guys making a bobbed deuce use F350 springs in the rear. its alot more flexable and can make it easier to LIFT the truck. but dont solve much of your front spring issues for a lift though

snakeater

I am not looking to lift it much, maybe a couple inches. What I really want is more flexibility in the springs. If I could get a more flexible spring pack with no lift i would be happier than lifted springs that are as hard as the stock springs.

grounded

Banned
F350 springs would be alot softer in essence making it flex alot easier.. you can get them to make the same height as stock deuce also. but aint got the payload.. but that still only solves the rear.

snakeater

well the front springs on my deuce are the same as the rears, so i wonder how much weight they will support. The f-350 idea may be quite valid if it will support the weight of the engine and winch in the front without sagging badly. Surely I am not the first person to want a more flexible suspension in the deuce? I have seen the double frame trick for lift, but that does nothing for ride or flexibility. gots to be someway to get it done. Snakeater

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know if they can arch them so as to lift it, or make a new set of springs that add a little lift? thought about playing with the spring rates and making the bobbed deuce a little more flexible.

This is what I do: take good old gasser springs, re-arch to +1.5" and reinforce them in the center by adding 2 more of the shorter leaves.
Final spring pack height is almost the same as stock MF (little less than 4.5") and distance – bump stop to frame - should be more or less 3.5” (for a A2 W/W)

This is more of a poor mans mod. but it has worked very well so far, in combination with modern heavy duty shocks (Gabriel #83456) Great stability over rough terrain (most of our outback bumpy dirt roads!) and not as rigid, compared to stock MF springs…

I’m sure any spring shop can come up with something similar: more leaves, less material thickness = greater flexibility.
Who says Deuces all have a harsh ride?

G.

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The dueces I own have winches, and seem to ride pretty good. Springs aren't hard at all in the front, and can be bottomed out on a big bump.

snakeater

I was hoping there was an interchange that someone knew of that would work to provide lift and flexibility. Trying not to have to get engineers involved if at all possible.(LOL) The f-350 spring idea is valid, but i don't think it will be applicable to the front of the truck. Too much weight. Guess i will call roughcountry suspension in dyersburg, tn. and see what they can come up with. they have helped me with little queries like this before. Snakeater

USMC6062

Some guy on here was building bobbed deuces that he had custom 6" lift springs made for them. I know you don't want lift, but maybe the same company could build more flexible springs. If I remember right, it was like $1000 or $1500 for a pair of springs. Ouch!!!

Jakob

If F-350 springs are good on the rear, why not the front too? You'd need to get a custom center pin, but starting with 4 leaf sets and combining them to make 2 bigger sets should work. I don't know how much they're arched unloaded, but if you know the spring rate you could calculate how much they'd flatten out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks