• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spring replacement, leveling springs

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the military manual:
M998A0 dry weight is around 5200 lbs
M998A2 dry weight is around 5900 lbs.

Did you actually take your truck across the scales to get that 5200 lbs (you said that's what it weighs Mogman? 1200 lbs less than Rolling18's 6400 lb truck)

Personally, with the red dot aircon, camouflage storage rack on top, some heavy jack rails, winch, and tools and stuff in the rear passenger footwell, my M1123 was over 7000 lbs when I went across the scales.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I took it across a CAT scale, 5240 with a full tank of fuel, but I think the Dmax is a lighter engine, it has aluminum heads for one thing.
It was pretty much "stripped" no doors or top etc, it did have the B pillar.
The Detroit, is also a M998 basic.
With X doors, helmet top, custom front bumper and brush guard, air lift bumper/w Rhino tire carrier and spare, 12K winches front and rear, the stock 6.2L and TH400 came in at 7300lb so the add ons add up!
I have not re-weighed it since the GEP turbo 6.5L and 6L80 transmission was installed but I doubt any of that was a significant change.

EDIT according to the interweb the Dmax weighs about 35lb more than the 6.2L

Last edited:

Vapor Trail

So it's time to get the parts for this suspension lift on my build and I still don't have a grasp of what's correct after reading all these threads multiple times. I have a M1123 with a lighter aluminum engine in the front but added bumper and winch. In the back there's a whole cage and seats and stereo so I don't know how much those will affect. I'm shooting for about a 1" lift in the rear and a 2" lift in the front. Currently I have welded front spring seats and cast rear spring seats. I guess I need to buy rear fabricated spring seat HM-187 #12338190 2540-01-203-5664 and then four (4) Armada springs listed earlier Moog 81085. I'll decide later how much, if any to cut but right now I want to know is this the spring seats I need and are all four springs supposed to be these same ones?

Glider

I ordered 4 springs all the same. I cut one coil from rear. Can't remember what I did on front. I do know i tried to put rears in without cutting. It raised the back off ground when trying to jack a arm up. I since have added a spare ture carrier and the rear sits a little lower than front. I strongly suggest getting a good spring compressor if possible.

Last edited:

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered 4 springs all the same. I cut one coil from rear. Can't remember what I did on front. I do know i tried to put rears in without cutting. It raised the back off ground when trying to jack a arm up. I since have added a spare ture carrier and the rear sits a little lower than rear. I strongly suggest getting a good spring compressor if possible. For safety and
The rear can be removed and replaced with a floor jack and a piece of chain and assorted hooks. Having said that I DON'T RECOMMEND IT FOR AMATEURS , IT'S DANGEROUS, LIKE LIFE ENDING DANGEROUS IF YOU SCREW UP.

Glider

Thanks Glider, So I need to buy those spring seats too?
My memory is foggy on that. Jack your truck from front and back to your desired ride height. Measure the distance between perches. The springs are around 500lbs per inch of compression. If you can weigh your front and rear(some truck stops have scales). You can do the math from there. They are sensitive to weight 250l bs will compress about 1/2 inch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks