• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spring Replacements - Heavier Rate

tonydamato

Looking for some information on replacement springs.

I am getting ready to go through my entire suspension and replace all the ball joints and steering components as preventative maintenance before I have the truck professionally aligned. In the near future I will be replacing the gutless 6.2 with a 12V Cummins that Im in the process of rebuilding and while the suspension is apart id like to replace the springs with something of a heavier rate to support the additional weight. Now I know there are several springs available for these trucks, but im looking for the heaviest springs that will not alter its current ride height or have VERY minimal impact as I don't want to mess with the suspension geometry or CV angles.

Any and all input is welcome!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not going to happen...but if it were me, I would convert to variable rate springs in the rear. This will require neeUpper and lower control arms, new larger ball joints and new upper spring seat that are casted.

tonydamato

So by my research the original M998 springs I have are a spring rate of 954lbs in the front with a free height of 13.36", if I were to replace these with the springs from a winch truck that have a rate of 1250lbs and the same free height of 13.36" wouldn't this offer a very minimal change in ride height, if anything leveling the front out with the rear and then sagging back down to factory ride height once the additional weight is added?

karlsmith

So by my research the original M998 springs I have are a spring rate of 954lbs in the front with a free height of 13.36", if I were to replace these with the springs from a winch truck that have a rate of 1250lbs and the same free height of 13.36" wouldn't this offer a very minimal change in ride height, if anything leveling the front out with the rear and then sagging back down to factory ride height once the additional weight is added?
Good question, anyone have an answer? I thought I read that those 12K springs will actually give close to 2 inches of clearance (15 inches to 16.75 inches)? The post didn't make any mention of additional upgrading required.

karlsmith

The "why" answer is going to vary by every single sub-culture of Humvee owner. I have a machine with a new engine and an 86 front end. I'm replacing everything anyway. If there is a benefit of less sag since I'm replacing them anyway, "why" not?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks