• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spring Seat Question

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GW, I see what you mean now. The diagrams I had did not include the plate. Also, my seat only has a lever lock on one of the seat adjuster rails. Does your have a cross connecting arm to a second seat lock on the other rail?

goldwing2000

Banned
GW, I see what you mean now. The diagrams I had did not include the plate. Also, my seat only has a lever lock on one of the seat adjuster rails. Does your have a cross connecting arm to a second seat lock on the other rail?
Hmm... dunno. Let me run outside and check.

*footsteps*

*door opens, closes*

Nope, just one slider lock. I imagine the seat frame is robust enough to keep it all square and in place.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am reupholstering one of clintogf's springers and there are two locks with an connecting rod. I can shoot pics tonight if needed.

Also, there is a return spring on each lock-I know this because somehow both were broken on hers.

edit: I just noticed in your finished seat, the lever to move the seat forward and back is different from ours..... Yours has a black ball (like a shifter ball) and on ours, the end of the lever it flattened with no knob.

Looks great-the mark of a true craftsman is not the big stuff but the details.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah! The 20 TM I just looked at definitely has two with a connecting rod between them.
My post #8, right click on diagram, -> open attachment in new window, -> enlarge, see part#5 and #17.......

I would say neither are essential if that seat never sees any adjustment (like in 99% of all cases, I guess)
Otherwise, or if you feel you need them anyways I can give you exact dimensions to fab those if you can't find them close by.;)

G.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed my seat adjustment know looked different that the drawing but assumed a change was made in the past. Or, since I only have one spring and locking assembly, it could very well have come off another type vehicle.

I agree with you G. I have not touched these levers once I set up the seat. If I don't find the plate and can get the size, I can fabricate one easily enough.

Hooty481

Nice looking seat... are you going to leave the stock bench seat on the passenger side? When my wife rides with me she bounces up and down and i am just setting there smooth in my spring seat. I didn't know if you was going to upgrade or anything.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hooty, I am using the standard companion seat. (see photo) I refurbished that seat first and will be installing a third seat belt so two grandkids can ride with me at the same time.

Attachments

steelandcanvas

Hey Tin, I took a springer apart a few years ago, and documented it with photos. A search would probably turn it up. Looks as though you have it covered and a nice job at that. You're right, it was easier to put back together, than take apart.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, with G's. encouragement, I tackled the driver's seat and here is the result. Strangely enough, taking it apart was harder than reassembly due to the rust and mis-matched hardware. After a full cleaning, primer and paint I re-assembled the seat and re-upholstered the cushions (wrinkles still need to smooth out) and here it is. I feel so much better now. :)
After Tinwoodsman redid his seat I went ahead and took my seat apart and started cleaning and repainting. Found that the shock was bad, so it was good I tore it down.
Thanks again Tinwoodsman for the push....[thumbzup] it is going to look a lot better.