• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spring Seat - Shock

KaiserPower

After tearing down my seat to get it upholstered, I went ahead and pulled everything apart for paint and grease as well. the shock wasn't doing anything anymore so I had the guys over at NAPA find me one. They found one through Monroe. It's a little beefer but "just" clears the frame fully extended... NAPA part #66104... make sure you get a store discount for a better price though.

And... I finally got the new skins on to.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Very nice work, outstanding!

dabtl

Even if the shock was a tiny bit large, there could be a small amount taken from the frame at the point of contact to provide the clearance. I am going to buy one next week. I have two of the original shocks that I got off eBay lately for $20 to fit two of the seats but I have three seats that need shocks.

steelandcanvas

After tearing down my seat to get it upholstered, I went ahead and pulled everything apart for paint and grease as well. the shock wasn't doing anything anymore so I had the guys over at NAPA find me one. They found one through Monroe. It's a little beefer but "just" clears the frame fully extended... NAPA part #66104... make sure you get a store discount for a better price though.

And... I finally got the new skins on to.
Very nice job! I ran into the same problem when I rebuilt my springer seat. I think TNJ offered up a shock for about $65. I always thought I could find one a little cheaper. As you can see by the photo, I really needed one.

Attachments

KaiserPower

The shock is a gas charged unit, while I'm guessing the originals were still fluid charged. The travel is near identical to the original as far as I could tell... It seems to provide more response as well as support... If your like me, the extra support is needed...:-D Like I said the fit is snug all around, even had to scuff the paint off the side of the eyelet tube were the mounting bolt goes through, plus a little lube on the sides helped. Make sure the mounting brackets on the seat aren't pulled towards each other... I tapped mine out just a little with a brass drift to help with slipping it into place. Also use a punch or drift to line the holes up before putting the mounting bolts through... it just help make things easier... and do the top bolt first.

My price at NAPA was $58.30, but I get a little bit of a price break from them.

jasonjc

I found it in less than 5 min at O'Reily's but they wanted $53.00 for it. So you are saveing us $20.00ea. So I send you a BIG thank you for your time.

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great, I'll get one. Anyone know what the shocknumber that is used on the front of a deuce? I am going to put a set on the back of my bobbed deuce (has front springs), and since there is free shipping on all shocks I thought I would order all three together.
Thanks again.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just ordered one online for $33.09 w/FREE SHIPPING!

Here you go ---> 66104

MAN these shocks are hard to find! I searched online for an hour & a half.....and all of you will reap the benifits! ;) haha
Will second that - I have ordered from Stengel Bros. before and they are a top-notch company to deal with. FAST shipping on orders for hard to find parts. I routinely ordered things from them on Monday afternoon and it was in my hands by Wednesday. You won't got wrong with them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks