• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

springer seats

Wozdirt

Just to Add a little insight, I have a m35a3 seat mounted on the drivers side of my A2 deuce, and I swapped the stock springer over to the passenger side.
I just went out wheeling the other night with a friend and we took turns driving and riding shotgun.
We both felt that the stock a2 springer seat has both softer seat foam and more travel in the spring ride base. The A3 seat has very firm seat foam and the base doesnt move as much over bumps.
The A3 seat has only front to back adjusting sliders and spring preload adjustment. It is a little thinner so I think you can get a little further away from the steering wheel, and has some back and bottom contour to help keep you in your seat side to side.
Not Really sure which one I like better at this point.

AceHigh

To me the big advantage to the A3 seat is being able to dial in the drivers weight. I leave it at a low setting and the seat sits lower allowing more space between the belly and the steering wheel.

ZRacer

To me the big advantage to the A3 seat is being able to dial in the drivers weight. I leave it at a low setting and the seat sits lower allowing more space between the belly and the steering wheel.
Sounds like I need one of those. My 6' 4", 250 lb. frame doesn't mesh well with the stock springer seat! Not to mention no legroom at all.

That little doohickey in the front that turns (cranks around) - is that supposed to adjust the springiness of the seat - or resistance to it? I've turned it a few times but it doesn't seem to do much...

ZRacer

It adjusts the amount of preload on one of the springs (there are two).
Hmmm... okay. But it doesn't seem very effective on my seat. Maybe the shock is worn out and the springs are the only things controlling the motion? Do these shock absorbers in the springer seats wear out? I have about 52K miles on the odometer of my truck...

Kohburn

springer seat has a shock and room for an airbag. would be an easy upgrade with a mini pressure regulator to control your ride height etc by replacing the lower spring with air.

pick

YES THE SHOCK WILL SEIZE UP. i JUST TOOK IT OUT AND LEFT IT OUT. IT KINDA FEELS GOOD HAVING A LITTLE SPRING. IT DOES NOT CONTINUOUSLY BOUNCE EITHER

Stan Leschert

Try this. http://www.bostromseating.com/ProRide.html

I will NEVER, EVER, again use a springer seat. They literally broke my back.

The Bostrom Telledega, is going into the M135. The seat base is readily available from any good truck boneyard for cheap. Seat belts are a strap from the floor to the floating seat base, lap belt mounting point is the same as the top of the intermediate strap,
and shoulder belt to the bulkhead. If shoulder belts are not an issue, use a non retreacting lap belt. Air will be taken off of the truck supply. (It's even a great back up for the Low Air Warning Buzzer... you will only drive a truck once, without air in the seat!)

On an air ride or springer seat NEVER use floor mounted seat belts... unless you want a cheap vasectomy.... your nards will be squarshed, and the extra pressure will greatly decrease the intervals between bladder rest stops.

Yes I have been driving with these seats for 20+ years now.

1 more hint. If you want your seats to look totally stock, get the Air Ride base, paint it OD, and bolt on your original seat top.

jesusgatos

Whoa, how did that happen? I'm only using the springer seat linkage (custom springs/shocks), and I'm going to mount the 4-point harnesses to the seats, and then to the cab/rollcage, so they can float with the seats, but will be anchored to the cabb/rollcage.

scootertrs

Thank you all... I believe I will have to bite the proverbial bullet and do a test. Running my deuce or my 818 w stock seats is trying at best. I believe that retro-fitting one of these seats will make the ride much more enjoyable. I have a T8 vertebra compression fracture that happened while putting on my custom Harley Ridgid chopper. I do enjoy the ride, but I also recognize that if I want to continye to walk, I have to reduce the amount of impact striking my back. I do know, that when I hit the trail with my 5 ton or the deuce and it gets rough, my seat bottoms out, transmitting the shock up my spine... I will attest that there is a definite need for improvement in the seat department. Thanks

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks