• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Springfield, IL Road Trip--- UNIMOG!!!

saddamsnightmare

July 20th, 2010.

Dateline: Springfield,IL:

The Unimog and I made it here on July 5th, 2010, with only a leaking rear main seal to show for it. Someone before me had overfilled the rear axle and the extremely high speed running (50-55MPH) for 8 to 10 hours a day had forced the seals to leak. The truck is as tough as Woodpecker's lips, as it was near 100*F in Memphis when I went through on the 4th. I have some photos I will post ASAP, but right now I have very limited computer access at the Lincoln Public Library computers, as I cannot use government machines.
Currently I am at the Red Roof Inn on South Dirksen here, trying to locate a rental house or apt. for wife, two cats and pet fish. Once I get the house in Texas sold, the M35A2 & M105A2 will follow, hopefully with less excitement. All the members concerns and messages are greatly appreciated, I will be intouch with the folks who dropped me messages ASAP, and I hope to see sopme of you folks here in IL. Thanks Diesel Bob and Biggles for tracking me down, I hope Bob's trip home went OK. Biggles & Madame found me at Barnes and Nobles, I guess a woodland green Unimog doesn't blend in really well.
Jefferson Barracks NM Cemetery in St. Louis is worth seeing, but you can oly see the 1880's brick barracks from outside the fences, as they are a Missouri ANG base and one must have official business to call and visit. I have to come up with a good reason to visit the post commander...... The IL Military museum here on North MacArthur and Jefferson is worth a visit, and the post Commander, Col. Whitlock is a fine member of the military and most interested in his collection.

I gotta run,
but I'll be in touch whenever I can...

saddamsnightmare

Unimog Road Trip

December 4th, 2010.

Gents:

It took forever, but see below for the photos for the road trip from Paris, TX to Springfield, IL July 3,4, & 5th, 2010. You don't want to know what all I had to master to get these off the telephone......:p

The Pictures are:
1. Memphis Visitor Center on Elvis Preley Parkway, July 4th, 2010.
2. Unimog in front of Graceland wall, July 4th, 2010.
3. Unimog and Mississippi River, Memphis, TN.
4.Unimog at Jefferson National Cemetery, St. Louis,Mo.
5. Unimog & Old Post Exchange, Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery, St.Louis, Mo.
6. Unimog Mississippi River at Jefferson Barrack National Cemetery, St. Louis, Mo.
7. Unimog Climbing hills northbound on I55 above Cape Girardeau, MO. July 5th.

750 miles at 50 MPH in 104+F degree heat and that darned engine cover and radiator tank in the cab, she bnever went of 95*C pushing her as hard as possible for ten hours a day with few stops.. Unimog engineering at 47 years old, gotta love those Mercedes Benz's, one wonders why we ever bought a HMMWV when there were U1300L's to be had that could do even more then the S404.14's

The next trip is not likely to be as long or tedious. I had hoped to bring the M35A2 up, but the laws here seem to be aimed to my getting rid of her, so check the classifieds....She needs a good home!
:-(
Have a safe and Happy Holiday Season!:-D

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks