• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Springs and lift question.

seabee mike

I have read about every lift thread on the site. I am still not sure on some things.

Does the m1009 use 1/2 ton springs?
If not what spring?
I read that some say to use the 1 ton spring. Or do they need the 3/4 ton? Are they the same as in size?

Are the 1009 springs the same as the civi springs? I have a 86 civi blazer and the springs measure the same.
I want to throw a 52 spring under the front.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are using 52s then the kit won't matter unless someone sells a kit for doing that swap.

dstang97

I wouldn't bother with the 52's

The only difference is blazers use a 52 rear spring and k20/30 use 56. Fronts are the same unless you get different rates. so order a k10 kit to get the correct u bolts.

Last edited:

CUCV85

I have read about every lift thread on the site. I am still not sure on some things.

Does the m1009 use 1/2 ton springs?
If not what spring?
I read that some say to use the 1 ton spring. Or do they need the 3/4 ton? Are they the same as in size?

Are the 1009 springs the same as the civi springs? I have a 86 civi blazer and the springs measure the same.
I want to throw a 52 spring under the front.
:beer:Just did a 4 inch in the m1009.
3 guys 4 hours of on and off actual work ha ha
311.00 "4 inch Complete Kit"
Rough Country, Jc Whitney
Comes with 4 new heckelthorn shocks, dropped pitman arm
- order 4 boots for shocks kit doesn't come with them!?
New Leafs came for the front and 4 inch blocks for the rear,
which are fine. My ride is awesome,
kind of wish I went with a 2 inch, I'm 6 foot tall
with no steps so a launch every time getting in!
Soon adding some small discrete steps.
Wife is complaining!
I should have ordered the rear leafs
to match the front then it'd be TOTALLY complete.
I am very happy with the lift in general
especially the front, weight of motor
and off-roading over 25 years takes a toll
on these front springs especially.
What a difference going from 3 darn near flat springs
to 5 with a high arch...[thumbzup]
I have new 33 12.50 BFG AT KO tires 160/ea. (GREAT 50k tires on/off road)
I was running on stock setup with minor fender trim.
I will run till dead and replace with 35 12.50 AT's

Last edited:

OL AG '89

****The front springs are 3 inch wide 56 inch long and the rear springs are 2 1/2 inch wide 52 inch long. . *****

That's straight from the wiki for M1009.
So yours if stock are 56 inch springs.
I did a 4" lift on mine. Springs in the front and blocks in the rear. The stance is GREAT.
I put 33x12.5x15 TOYO Open Country M/T's and still have lots of room for wheel travel..

seabee mike

Thank you guys. I was wanting to get the DIY4x shackle flip for the rear, and was thinking of doing the b52 shackle flip for the front. I know of a set fo 52'' springs. BUt i guess i could just get new springs arched for the front. I want to do it right the first time.d Doe the duel shocks make the ride too stiff? Are duels mainly for the front? I will buy good shocks from FOA.com

jimmy-90

If you are going to use 52" springs in the front they will probly wind up being rear springs and will have alot of arch compared to normal front springs even non lift rear 52's will be that way. If you look under your truck at the stock front springs and then the stock rear springs you will notice that the fronts are completely flat and the rears are pretty arched. I am in the process of doing a 52" front and 56" rear conversion on my civi blazer and I would STRONGLY suggest that you call the spring manufacture and tell them that you are doing a 52" front spring conversion and also call DIY4X and talk to Kert Cohoon they will get you set up with the right parts to do that conversion.

jimmy-90

Yes you would use the 52" rear springs for the front with a B-52 kit. What I should have been more clear about is the amount of lift that will give you in the front even with the stock rear springs. You are probly looking at at least 4.5" to maby even 6" of lift from that And the shackle flip is something you kinda have to tinker with to get the shackles at a good angle and not have it droop in the rear and stand way up in the front. I'm assuming that you want a flexy ride since you are looking at a shackle flip and 52"s up front. When I started getting parts to do my swap I talked to the teck line guy at Tuff Country and he told me the part numbers for the right springs that I would be needing to do the swap. Tuff Country is very familiar with these types of swaps by the way and are a great help. Kert at DIY4X helped me hammer out which shackles and other miscellaneous parts that I would need from him plus about how much lift I was gonna wind up with. In a nut shell im saying is before you order jump on the manufactures teck lines and pow wow with them. They answer all these questions every day and were a big help when I was getting ready to buy parts.

seabee mike

Thank you for the replies.
I noticed the front springs are shorter than 52'' 3'' wide. Is that a 3/4 ton spring? My main concern is if the 1009 is 3/4 ton and the kits are 1/2 ton.

I was looking at the 52 front and moving the stock hanger forward as shown here 52" Front Spring Swap .
My concern is the front tie down will not fit there any more. has anyone done this set up?

Thank you for the help. I am very capable of doing this job but i feel like i am not informed enough on what kind of lift I need. I have called a few MFGS and like first hand knowledge more.

Last edited:

MudderMilitia

What are your plans for this truck? If you are going to be driving this on the street alot I would stay away from swaping 52 or 56 inch springs in the front. If this is a trail rig, then go for it. If you are on a budget, don't do it. The 52(56) inch spring swap seems cheap at first, but it isnt. You are lifting the truck 4-6 inches (depending on spring condition) and you will be moving the front axle forward (amount varies on the spring mounts you use) This means you will definitly need a new longer driveshaft and most likely a long slip since the springs flex alot.

Next you need to do crossover steering cause the stock steering just wont cut it when your flexed up and trying to turn. Also someone mentioned 52s come in 1/2 tons and 56s come in k20/k30s. This is partially true. All 1/2 tons (blazer, burb, p-up) have 52 inchers in the rear. All K30s have 56 inchers in the rear. 3/4 tons are a little different. I know for a fact that burbs can have 52s or 56ers in the rear, im pretty sure trucks are the same. I think it depends on the gvw of the truck and that dictates which spring they have installed. Just like some 3/4 tons have a 14 bolt semi-floater or a 14-bolt full-float rear axle.

My 89 k-5 trail rig had Tuffcountry 4" lift springs and they flexed great. I went to 52s mainly cause I wanted to move the axle forward and I was already planning on xover steer. Hope this helps

seabee mike

i found a guy pulling his kit off a 86 truck. it looks like it will fit on the 86 blazer and it is still a 3/4 ton kit. the kit looks new as the truck has sat for 10 years after it was installed. the new owner is going to put a 6'' kit given to him.