• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Squeaks driving me crazy..............help

M 998 when I first start driving there is no squeaks. After about 5 minutes the whole front dash of floor starts squeaking like crazy. I have tried to locate a certain area but it seems it's the entire width of the front. Also I removed the speedo cable and lubed it with a graphite anti seize compound with no results. I also noticed the windshield rubber is hardened but again I can't be sure this is where it's coming from. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Squeaks can be from ball joints when metal to metal contact especially for the ones that are sealed and no zerk fittings. I would start there and obviously more pronounced when you hit bumps and uneven pavement. If they are squeaking , they are also out of tolerance and probably close to worn out. Check tire wear pattern also to id suspension part wearing abnormally.

Squeaks can be from ball joints when metal to metal contact especially for the ones that are sealed and no zerk fittings. I would start there and obviously more pronounced when you hit bumps and uneven pavement. If they are squeaking , they are also out of tolerance and probably close to worn out. Check tire wear pattern also to id suspension part wearing abnormally.
Checked that. Have grease fittings on all ball joints and very liberally greased them. Just wondering if it's where the aluminum panels are rivited together and there is some movement.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are getting a vibration/squealing while moving, other items to look at is driveshaft u joints, hanger bearing, temps at each wheel hub/box including fluid level, differentials etc.

Can you isolate the speed when heard? Do you feel vibration?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wife often says "It's driving me Crazy"
She don't wanna hear it anymore but my normal
immediate reply is " It ain't a far Drive"

We been cooped up in here since 03142020
She going in back to work 06082020, Probably.
So She don't go crazy, wasn't Me, people just need to interact.

You bring that truck here and I show you what is squeaking /howling
You know it is worn out stuff, hopefully just parts demanding lube attention.
Pump the GAA into everything according to the TM
You want the TM's?
Write back

badgerd

Electronic Jedi
Passenger side exhaust manifold heat shield is possible. Didn't really hear it until it was hot. Mine had broken spot welds everywhere causing the issue...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daves86

Don't forget the hood bumpers. One is right in the middle of dash just outside the windshield close to where you're saying the noise is. I hit mine with dielectric grease and it quiets them down pretty well

Don't forget the hood bumpers. One is right in the middle of dash just outside the windshield close to where you're saying the noise is. I hit mine with dielectric grease and it quiets them down pretty well
Will give it a try. As far as I know all parts like u joints and ball joints are fine and in good working order. I've been around cars and built cars all my life and to me it sounds like a surface like rubber to rubber or in another situation I had fiberglass to fiberglass. This one has been very hard to locate even using my homemade stethoscope. I'll do all the recommendations you guys gave me and report back. Thanks to all for their input.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the same squeak, I think. I hope you find it! Mine is most often present when there is damp on the road surface.
BDGR

sue

I have the same squeak, I think. I hope you find it! Mine is most often present when there is damp on the road surface.
BDGR
Lightly apply pressure on the brake pedal while driving. Have diagnosed some other owners with a supposedly bad u joint. a lot of times the brake disc and pads squeak.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's definitely in
Lightly apply pressure on the brake pedal while driving. Have diagnosed some other owners with a supposedly bad u joint. a lot of times the brake disc and pads squeak.
My squeak is definitely in the body or some fitting, near as I can tell. Not dependent on the brakes. It sounds like its coming from just beyond the llower left side of the doghouse. I haven't tried hard to find it, as it mostly happens when wet so it's too sloppy to want to crawl under it.
One of these days!
BDGR

papakb

Welcome to the world of HMMWVs. Your windshield pillar should have a label on it advising the wearing of ear protection for a reason! LOL

Fixed. It was the insulators in the mid and sides of the hood. I knew they was worn but didn't think bad enough to cause this. The "tip" was I noticed a bolt that had been rubbing against the hood and then used a couple of 1/4" rubber bushings to test. All squeaks stopped. Just received the new ones yesterday and installed them this AM. Quiet as a mouse as far as the squeaks but still noisy as a HUMVEE LOL. Thanks ALL for the replies and I hope this may help others.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks