• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Squibbly's M1009 and other Questionable Projects

Squibbly

When I bought this truck, I noticed that the orange shift indicator didn't work.
I took the dash apart and found this hanging from the back of the steering column (of course), and the orange pointer.

cable.jpg

The part of the instrument panel that acts as the "wheel" that this goes around is non-existent (of course). I'm sure that whatever force caused this steel line to snap also broke it off whenever that happened.

I guess I'll try to figure out how to fix it, short of buying a new instrument cluster for this one thing,

I'm thinking I can just screw a piece of flared brake line in to replace the "wheel" and use some 80lb fishing line (or braided line) as the cable.

download.gif

Last edited:

ezgn

When I bought this truck, I noticed that the orange shift indicator didn't work.
I took the dash apart and found this hanging from the back of the steering column (of course), and the orange pointer.

View attachment 855051

The part of the instrument panel that acts as the "wheel" that this goes around is non-existent (of course). I'm sure that whatever force caused this steel line to snap also broke it off whenever that happened.

I guess I'll try to figure out how to fix it, short of buying a new instrument cluster for this one thing,

I'm thinking I can just screw a piece of flared brake line in to replace the "wheel" and use some 80lb fishing line (or braided line) as the cable.

View attachment 855052
The white instrument housings are not available.

Squibbly

..and it’s back in. I didn't need to pull the valve out. I just used a prybar screwdriver to get leverage on the top of the plug so I could push it down tightly into the fitting.

On another note, I’m not sure exactly when this company started making these red hot burritos, but I know it was one of my favorites as a teen, and that’s been well over 20 years ago.

They haven’t changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DIVE DIVE

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 855051

View attachment 855052
This might solve half of your problem. You can buy the cable assembly relatively easily. I know it isn’t perfect, and I’m not super happy with it, but it works. I tried epoxy repair and it just broke again so for me it was either find a used, brittle old piece or improvise.

Attachments

Squibbly

Oh, the parts gremlin left some stuff in my mailbox today.
I wonder if I can print a cast for that hard-to-find rubber piece and make one out of silicon.

Maybe I'll do that before sticking this one in the truck.

1641404909152.png

This weekend will hopefully be "welding weekend" and I can get the rocker and cab top fixed.
Possibly clean up and mount the brush guard.
Straighten that back bumper...which hopefully is just loosening it up and adjusting it.

Last edited:

Squibbly

This might solve half of your problem. You can buy the cable assembly relatively easily. I know it isn’t perfect, and I’m not super happy with it, but it works. I tried epoxy repair and it just broke again so for me it was either find a used, brittle old piece or improvise.
My hope is that sticking a piece of brake line over the bolt will allow a smooth "roll" to it.
Whatever works. Adapt and overcome. 😉

ssdvc

There is just a screw, like yours, on mine. I believe that is the go to fix for the indicator. Maybe some sort of metal feral (sp) may help, but the cable could squeeze between the head of the screw and the feral or the feral and the panel and would bind up, maybe even snap the cable.

ezgn

Oh, the parts gremlin left some stuff in my mailbox today.
I wonder if I can print a cast for that hard-to-find rubber piece and make one out of silicon.

Maybe I'll do that before sticking this one in the truck.

View attachment 855167

This weekend will hopefully be "welding weekend" and I can get the rocker and cab top fixed.
Possibly clean up and mount the brush guard.
Straighten that back bumper...which hopefully is just loosening it up and adjusting it.
That fitting looks like it may work fine. Where did you find the regulator? Thanks for the PM

Squibbly

There is just a screw, like yours, on mine. I believe that is the go to fix for the indicator. Maybe some sort of metal feral (sp) may help, but the cable could squeeze between the head of the screw and the feral or the feral and the panel and would bind up, maybe even snap the cable.
I’ll throw enough washers on it so the cable can’t get to the spot that it can get pinched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks