• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Squibbly's M1009 and other Questionable Projects

Squibbly

The governor cover is just a big o ring...might want to get a new cover as it might not be round anymore to be leaking...not a usual leak unless someone took it off and bent it...I have seen that a bunch....it should have a good edge to tap a few times to come out though so it shouldn't be that tight and doesn't need sealant...I need all the horn stuff too...the plastic 3 post gasket, under the center of the steering wheel, is gone on both of mine but have found them online in kits that have everything...good to see you didn't lose any knuckles changing the flywheel!!
I figured it was #3 in this image.

1637805861203.png

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I figured it was #3 in this image.

View attachment 851567
Crap....got mixed up with the 350!! Dang, I gotta dust off my rebuild books!! I think the first one I did was in 1991. The governor # 4 has the gear end though that is that same ugh...Didn't mean to misinform. After a while they all look the same...just act like a robot and rebuild them!

Squibbly

Because that 30-35LB figure for the bell housing seemed so small I started digging around in the TMs.

This is what I found.

1637861910387.png

80 seems like too much and could crack the housing. I'm thinking maybe 50-60.

Then I also found this, which may explain where people are getting the 30 number from.

1637862282737.png

It has been repeated on this site MANY times that the torque spec for the bellhousing bolts is 30FT LBS.

Hopefully someone sees this before they only tighten the transmission bolts to 30FT LB, or someone else will jump in here and correct some figures.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I know every bolt has a torque tightness. But who really torques every bolt? I torque head bolts, fly wheel, and intake bolts and other important bolts. But most other bolts I tighten. After many years I know tight from loose or over tight. Anyone torquing every bolt is spending more time than I was ever allowed to do a repair. I worked GM flat Rate and most times it was the first time I ever done such job. Like the GM flat rate manual was done by a study of techs and the average time was the flat rate time. I changed hundreds of rear main seals on 2.8 V6 S10 and older 6.2 diesel engines before 1987. I could do 2 1/2 of them a day after a while. The first one took me 2 1/2 days. I never did figure out how to get the one bell bolt back in the S10. Getting it out was a nightmare and getting it back in was impossible with the cab in place. That was a long time ago. I would take 2 1/2 weeks to do one job now. Funny how that works. Happy Thanksgiving.

Squibbly

I know every bolt has a torque tightness. But who really torques every bolt? I torque head bolts, fly wheel, and intake bolts and other important bolts. But most other bolts I tighten. After many years I know tight from loose or over tight. Anyone torquing every bolt is spending more time than I was ever allowed to do a repair. I worked GM flat Rate and most times it was the first time I ever done such job. Like the GM flat rate manual was done by a study of techs and the average time was the flat rate time. I changed hundreds of rear main seals on 2.8 V6 S10 and older 6.2 diesel engines before 1987. I could do 2 1/2 of them a day after a while. The first one took me 2 1/2 days. I never did figure out how to get the one bell bolt back in the S10. Getting it out was a nightmare and getting it back in was impossible with the cab in place. That was a long time ago. I would take 2 1/2 weeks to do one job now. Funny how that works. Happy Thanksgiving.
Sounds like a vote for 50ish on those Bellhousing bolts. 😂

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because that 30-35LB figure for the bell housing seemed so small I started digging around in the TMs.

This is what I found.

View attachment 851608

80 seems like too much and could crack the housing. I'm thinking maybe 50-60.

Then I also found this, which may explain where people are getting the 30 number from.

View attachment 851611

It has been repeated on this site MANY times that the torque spec for the bellhousing bolts is 30FT LBS.

Hopefully someone sees this before they only tighten the transmission bolts to 30FT LB, or someone else will jump in here and correct some figures.
80 sounds good, with my 4 foot extension that's probably all I'd get out of it! I am a torque freak though...have the nice torque to yield snap on half inch wrench and quarter inch one too use them all the time! One thing overlooked is to make sure the surface of the trans and engine is very clean with no grease or dirt on it, typically 150 grit sandpaper and some brake clean gets the surfaces ready to stick together good.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
80 sounds good, with my 4 foot extension that's probably all I'd get out of it! I am a torque freak though...have the nice torque to yield snap on half inch wrench and quarter inch one too use them all the time! One thing overlooked is to make sure the surface of the trans and engine is very clean with no grease or dirt on it, typically 150 grit sandpaper and some brake clean gets the surfaces ready to stick together good.
80 lbs sounds like a lot for a 3/8'' grade 5 bolt.

Squibbly

Wow. 💡
See, this is something I didn't know. I always thought it was based on the items you were bolting together (and it kind of is), but didn't put the 2+2 together that they used specific bolts when engineering it, and the torque was based on the bolt used (which the engineers hopefully did all the math for).

Some engineer at some point did the math and decided that 6 grade 5 bolts, torqued to 30ish FT-LB is all that is needed to handle whatever load the transmission to block requires (hopefully without shaking loose). If the bolt is torqued to 31 FT-LB, then the clamping force of a 3/8 - 16 Bolt is between 480-560 LBS (depending on if the bolt is lubed or not) at each bolt. Assuming I put all the right numbers into the calculator.

Bolt Torque, Axial Clamp Force, Bolt Diameter Calculator | Engineers Edge

If you follow the 80LB Torque from the guide you are putting between 1333 and 1666 LBs of clamping force on each bolt, which seems excessive for an aluminum case.

You would have to put 396 FT-LB of torque on a 3/8 - 16 Grade 5 Bolt for it to deform...but, I'm sure the transmission housing would crack way before then.

There is the potential that I'm totally wrong and didn't understand this (math isn't my strong suit).

It doesn't really matter at the end of the day, but I just like to try to understand the "why" of things.

Ultimately as @cucvrus said...just make sure they are tight 😀

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow. 💡
See, this is something I didn't know. I always thought it was based on the items you were bolting together (and it kind of is), but didn't put the 2+2 together that they used specific bolts when engineering it, and the torque was based on the bolt used (which the engineers hopefully did all the math for).

Some engineer at some point did the math and decided that 6 grade 5 bolts, torqued to 30ish FT-LB is all that is needed to handle whatever load the transmission to block requires (hopefully without shaking loose). If the bolt is torqued to 31 FT-LB, then the clamping force of a 3/8 - 16 Bolt is between 480-560 LBS (depending on if the bolt is lubed or not) at each bolt. Assuming I put all the right numbers into the calculator.

Bolt Torque, Axial Clamp Force, Bolt Diameter Calculator | Engineers Edge

If you follow the 80LB Torque from the guide you are putting between 1333 and 1666 LBs of clamping force on each bolt, which seems excessive for an aluminum case.

You would have to put 396 FT-LB of torque on a 3/8 - 16 Grade 5 Bolt for it to deform...but, I'm sure the transmission housing would crack way before then.

There is the potential that I'm totally wrong and didn't understand this (math isn't my strong suit).

It doesn't really matter at the end of the day, but I just like to try to understand the "why" of things.

Ultimately as @cucvrus said...just make sure they are tight 😀
You seem like a bright guy to me. Your doing great.

Squibbly

Productive day.
Got the flex plate finished, new starter installed, and had to put 2 gallons of transmission fluid in the tranny, and it still seems like I’m a quart short.

Good news is that my bracket flip *was* the issue. I can actually feel the truck going into gear and not slop. Park works. Took the truck for a spin around the neighborhood.

There is a ticking noise up front I need to find.

Got the new rear window regulator installed so no more camo tarp over the back window and it rolls all the way up.

Tomorrow is clean up, find the tick location (maybe exhaust manifold). and putting in the window crank and lock.

Thanks to all for the help and info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jplace1011

Productive day.
Got the flex plate finished, new starter installed, and had to put 2 gallons of transmission fluid in the tranny, and it still seems like I’m a quart short.

Good news is that my bracket flip *was* the issue. I can actually feel the truck going into gear and not slop. Park works. Took the truck for a spin around the neighborhood.

Got the new rear window regulator installed so no more camo tarp over the back window and it rolls all the way up.

Tomorrow is clean up, find the tick location (maybe exhaust manifold). and putting in the window crank and lock.

Looking good! You have cucvrus helping too. He’s the man! If you need a new manual crank handle for the rear, I got this one on EBay. I believe LMC Truck may have them as well. Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Productive day.

Before you close up the rear gate / window and call that a job completed, it needs to be lubed. I have read several posts from @cucvrus mentioning proper lube and of course not forcing the hand crank. That way you won't be doing this same job again in a few months...

Squibbly

Looking good! You have cucvrus helping too. He’s the man! If you need a new manual crank handle for the rear, I got this one on EBay. I believe LMC Truck may have them as well. Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Thanks. I actually have the same one already, only mine didn't come with the lock cylinder. I had to order it separately.

Squibbly

Before you close up the rear gate / window and call that a job completed, it needs to be lubed. I have read several posts from @cucvrus mentioning proper lube and of course not forcing the hand crank. That way you won't be doing this same job again in a few months...
Yeah, I need new window and door seals all the way around. I hit these with some silicone spray for the time being, but they'll all be getting replaced soon.

The truck had this tool in it. I assume it was for opening that window without a crank. Works perfect for that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks