• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Squibbly's M1009 and other Questionable Projects

Squibbly

This was my last play before I packed it up.
I'm putting this here out of "shame" to what I resorted to when I ran out of solutions, and because I know when Rick sees it, he's going to do the Fred Sanford dance. 😂

fred.gif

You can see the bolts twisting, and perhaps that is the answer.
I know the heat wasn't on long enough to expand the metal, but this isn't something like a rusty bolt on the frame or undercarriage. It was a quick hit hoping for the PB Blaster to wick, or something to break loose under pressure.

Last edited:

ezgn

This was my last play before I packed it up.
I'm putting this here out of "shame" to what I resorted to when I ran out of solutions, and because I know when Rick sees it, he's going to do the Fred Sanford dance. 😂

View attachment 852858

You can see the bolts twisting, and perhaps that is the answer.
I know the heat wasn't on long enough to expand the metal, but this isn't something like a rusty bolt on the frame or undercarriage. It was a quick hit hoping for the PB Blaster to wick, or something to break loose under pressure.

Maybe if you could get some help with someone holding a pipe wrench around the puller frame you could keep it from twisting. Two pipe wrenches around top and bottom would maybe be even better.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe if you could get some help with someone holding a pipe wrench around the puller frame you could keep it from twisting. Two pipe wrenches around top and bottom would maybe be even better.
I've done something similar to that but with a big pry bar stuck into the bolt and center bolt to keep it from twisting..I don't have any straight bolts in my kit and it's a snap on...I don't think the blue gas is gonna do much since it doesn't get that hot...makes you feel better though with it smoking! Having an extra hand holding that center does help though!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Squibbly

I suppose I can try my air hammer tomorrow.
I'm reading about farmers that need to pull the splined steering wheels off their tractors that have been sitting out in the rain, and they just pull the top with a hand, bottom with their knees, and hit the center nut with an air hammer with the point attachment.

They claim it is an instant off, 100% of the time, solution.

We shall see...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I suppose I can try my air hammer tomorrow.
I'm reading about farmers that need to pull the splined steering wheels off their tractors that have been sitting out in the rain, and they just pull the top with a hand, bottom with their knees, and hit the center nut with an air hammer with the point attachment.

They claim it is an instant off, 100% of the time, solution.

We shall see...
Could be that the puller attached overnight with your version of Slick-em soaking overnight... Then tomorrow morning, bring a 3# hammer and give the screw on the puller one solid "love tap" and see what happens.

The rust has been there for a while. Save Up! More than likely it took years to get that way. Might take you a few days or a week to break it free.

Squibbly

Myth busted. Air hammer did nothing. After going after the steering wheel for a few hours I decided to wait till later to work on it. I may have to pull the column and take it to a shop to have it pressed out, but I want to drive it in the meantime.

Instead I put in the “correct” relay ( I’ve gotta go get the missing screw). I then removed the toggle the PO replaced the blackout switch with, and what do you know, the original blackout switch was still connected and just dangling behind the dash. Bonus.

I then setup a new “ground toggle” in the ashtray and it all works good. The PO's toggle was connected directly into the fuse panel with a spade connector. This guy lived dangerously.

Disconnectable if needed and I can let them dangle without worrying about a short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Squibbly

Today consisted of mowing up leaves, and getting the boat cleaned up for winter. I also am trying Goof Off oil stain remover for those driveway stains left from when the CUCV first arrived.
We will see what happens.

She may not be the best looking boat on the lake, but she's mine, she never left me stranded, she catches me fish dinners, and the price was right.
1639347797698.png
1639347963038.png
Good running engine. When I got it, it wasn't running. Not sure how long.
I replaced the plugs, cleaned the carburetor, re-timed it, and changed the lubrication.
I also pulled the fuel tank, cleaned that and replaced the bulb and hoses.

Run like its new.

1639348572026.png

This 24V motor wasn't working, and the PO had put a little tiny hand control trolling motor next to it on the front of the boat screwed to a board.
I opened up the foot pedal, and the positive and negative wires were melted together. I pulled them out and put in new wires and the trolling motor was working fine.

Anyways, she's ready for winter now.

This is the oil stain under the truck. I'll pressure wash it tomorrow after I let this stuff chalk up.

1639348311140.png

Last edited:

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today consisted of mowing up leaves, and getting the boat cleaned up for winter. I also am trying Goof Off oil stain remover for those driveway stains left from when the CUCV first arrived.
We will see what happens.

She may not be the best looking boat on the lake, but she's mine, she never left me stranded, she catches me fish dinners, and the price was right.
View attachment 853062
View attachment 853070
Good running engine. When I got it, it wasn't running. Not sure how long.
I replaced the plugs, cleaned the carburetor, re-timed it, and changed the lubrication.
I also pulled the fuel tank, cleaned that and replaced the bulb and hoses.

Run like its new.

View attachment 853075

This 24V motor wasn't working, and the PO had put a little tiny hand control trolling motor next to it on the front of the boat screwed to a board.
I opened up the foot pedal, and the positive and negative wires were melted together. I pulled them out and put in new wires and the trolling motor was working fine.

Anyways, she's ready for winter now.

This is the oil stain under the truck. I'll pressure wash it tomorrow after I let this stuff chalk up.

View attachment 853074
That is called the poor mans black-top.
Park a CUCV on any gravel driveway and you make your own pug milling machine.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, after a full 24 hour soak, and 1 full strength bottle off Goof Off driveway oil stain remover, I can report back that it was able to successfully remove $10 from my wallet. 😒

View attachment 853136

Muriatic acid it is....
on concrete I have had good luck with cheap cat litter...the clay stuff with no clumps or stinky cat smelly...dig it in with my boots and let it sit there for a bit...usually comes out pretty good.

Squibbly

Ordered my Argon/CO2 gas cylinder and gauges.
Ordered some vacuum hose in the various sizes I need.
Got my governor seal and gear in the mail and will put that in this weekend.
Vacuum modulator on its way.
I suspect my late shifting in the transmission is one of those things and they need replacing anyways. I may need to clean the vacuum valve at the fuel pump.
That will hopefully be figured out by the end of this weekend.

Waiting for my 3/16-20 die so I can fix my steering column nut.
Waiting for a guy to confirm with a photo that the has the correct steering column. He claims to have the brush guard. (Always a toss-up dealing with people on the internet). I may pull the column and just take it to a machine shop and have it pressed out. Just want a backup in case.

Lots of waiting, not a lot of doing. I don't like this combination.

Squibbly

Hmmm…guessing zero inches of mercury wasn’t the number I was hoping for on that vacuum pump.

Last edited:

ezgn

Hmmm…guessing zero inches of mercury wasn’t the number I was hoping for on that vacuum pump.

Did you hook it up to hose that goes to the vacuum regulator on top of the engine, it's hard to see on the video? Is the gauge your using used to pull a vacuum, I can't tell. I just use a vacuum gauge hooked to the line from the pump to the regulator, it looks like thats what you have done.

Last edited:

Squibbly

Did you hook it up to hose that goes to the vacuum regulator on top of the engine, it's hard to see on the video?
Yeah. I hooked it up to the “T” that comes off of it.

It’s technically from a brake bleeder kit but it can check vacuum pressure too.

Last edited:

ezgn

Did you hook it up to hose that goes to the vacuum regulator on top of the engine, it's hard to see on the video? Is the gauge your using used to pull a vacuum, I can't tell. I just use a vacuum gauge hooked to the line from the pump to the regulator, it looks like thats what you have done.
Yeah. I hooked it up to the “T” that comes off of it.

It’s technically from a brake bleeder kit but it can check vacuum pressure too.

No vacuum at all and all you have is a late shifting problem, I guess it could be worse. sounds like you will need to source a new pump or pod.

Last edited:

Squibbly

sounds like you will need to source a new pump or pod.
Had that ordered before I even posted. Just took your part number from that other recent thread.

I was just saying to my bro that I’ve had to replace so many things on this, and yet, it was still running when I bought it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks