• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Squibbly's M1009 and other Questionable Projects

ezgn

Had that ordered before I even posted. Just took your part number from that other recent thread.

I was just saying to my bro that I’ve had to replace so many things on this, and yet, it was still running when I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have been thinking the same thing. On a positive note, from the standpoint of a hobby it makes it all seem okay. There is always a silver lining. Stay positive which I know you are and enjoy the ride. Once you have it all fixed up and running good it will become your favorite vehicle.

Squibbly

Got the new vacuum pump installed. Fixed my late shifting issue.

Didn’t feel like going to Napa for a gasket. Just made my own.

I got the Glow Plug card from my bro in the mail. It looks like a zener diode that is the first component in the relay circuit blew out.

Could someone tell me the markings on that component so I can fix this card?

Last edited:

Squibbly

I got the Glow Plug card from my bro in the mail. It looks like a zener diode that is the first component in the relay circuit blew out.

Nevermind. Got my answer here:

3W 24V Zener Diode.

24pcs 1N5934BRL Zener Diode 24V 3W 5% ON Semiconductor DO-41 Voltage Regulator | eBay

Last edited:

ezgn

So all of your shifts points are good and you did not have to adjust the vacuum regulator! Amazing, I adjust mine to shift at 15 mph and 30-35 miles per hour. It gives you good firm shifts. I believe soft shifting is not good for these transmissions. Happy Days, good job.

Squibbly

So all of your shifts points are good and you did not have to adjust the vacuum regulator! Amazing, I adjust mine to shift at 15 mph and 30-35 miles per hour. It gives you good firm shifts. I believe soft shifting is not good for these transmissions. Happy Days, good job.
It shifts at around 23ish and 33ish.
I haven't gotten around to dialing it in. Gotta read up on it as with almost everything I've touched so far. 😂
I've got a new vacuum modulator coming that is adjustable and supposedly can firm up those shifts.

ezgn

It shifts at around 23ish and 33ish.
I haven't gotten around to dialing it in. Gotta read up on it as with almost everything I've touched so far. 😂
I've got a new vacuum modulator coming that is adjustable and supposedly can firm up those shifts.
23 mph is way to late, the vacuum modulator is easy peasy. You loosen the nut and rotate the regulator toward the firewall for a lower shift. Your existing vacuum modulator might be an adjustable type that is not adjusted correctly. I like the non adjustable type and just adjust it from the vacuum regulator. Buy the best vacuum modulator available. I think you said you have a new one coming.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter

What was the part # and or vendor for your new vacuum pump. I'm having late shift issues with my 1009 as well.

Squibbly

ezgn

23 mph is way to late, the vacuum modulator is easy peasy. You loosen the nut and rotate the regulator toward the firewall for a lower shift. Your existing vacuum modulator might be an adjustable type that is not adjusted correctly. I like the non adjustable type and just adjust it from the vacuum regulator. Buy the best vacuum modulator available. I think you said you have a new one coming.
You have M1009 I have M1008 on my brain because that is what I have, Your shift points are probably different then mine so I really don't know what your shift points should be. I stand corrected if I'm wrong

ezgn

This thing fights me right down to the nuts and bolts on the cats eyes.

Ordered a new set.

Dang! well when the going gets tough the tough just have to get tougher. Makes me thankful I got one of the clean ones from the get go. I still appreciate all of your helpful information and pictures. Keep up the good work, I think even though it can be frustrating at times, you're still having fun.

Squibbly

Dang! well when the going gets tough the tough just have to get tougher. Makes me thankful I got one of the clean ones from the get go. I still appreciate all of your helpful information and pictures. Keep up the good work, I think even though it can be frustrating at times, you're still having fun.
My sawzall got tougher.
All of these tools I’ve bought over the years for small jobs here and there are finally paying off. Lol.

If I had to buy all the things I’ve had to use on this truck from scratch it would be rough.

Squibbly

The old cats eye compared to the new ones.

I need to figure out how to take the gloss off the new one. None of the light covers on a CUCV should have a gloss because it should not reflect sun, so all of them are supposed to have a “dull” sanded finish.

My brake light covers for instance aren’t original. I can tell because they are glossy and should be dull.

The wires on the new ones are not the thin copper wires like the original. They seem like silicon covered tinned copper. I just spliced the old connector onto the new wires using solder and heat shrink. I like to hit the splice with some Vaseline before I heat shrink it, to prevent any corrosion from water that may get past the heat shrink.

Last edited:

Squibbly

Found another oil leak.
This one is coming out of a rubber hose that is part of the Crankcase Depression system. Part# 14050445

Doesn't look like they make it anymore.

This is more than a 90 degree bend.
Anyone have a source or solution for these already before I head out on my quest?

I would prefer a silicon solution obviously.

1640539950689.png
1640539830792.png

Squibbly

NAPA, Advance Auto, AutoZone, O’reilleys, and Tractor supply.

Nobody has the part, much less interested in discussing a hose for something else that may be similar.

So, electrical tape it is, possibly a plasti-dip at a later date.