• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Squibbly's M1009 and other Questionable Projects

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
does any of this help at all?
4720-01-195-7603 (4720011957603)

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NAPA, Advance Auto, AutoZone, O’reilleys, and Tractor supply.

Nobody has the part, much less interested in discussing a hose for something else that may be similar.

So, electrical tape it is, possibly a plasti-dip at a later date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you find the nsn number for it in the parts catalog? Should be able to search that number up and find something.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found part number 14050455 is what the nsn is....it doesn't come up as something anyone has yet with a quick search...ugh...I'll keep hunting.

ezgn

Found another oil leak.
This one is coming out of a rubber hose that is part of the Crankcase Depression system. Part# 14050445

Doesn't look like they make it anymore.

This is more than a 90 degree bend.
Anyone have a source or solution for these already before I head out on my quest?

I would prefer a silicon solution obviously.

View attachment 854253
View attachment 854252
Maybe just a 90 silicone fitting and cut it down to fit, a small twist in it may still work?

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe just a 90 silicone fitting and cut it down to fit, a small twist in it may still work?
I bet that would work...a local truck shop might have something or hydraulic shop...I'll look up a hose company I use and see if they have something like that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Squibbly

does any of this help at all?
4720-01-195-7603 (4720011957603)

Hard to say since most of them don't have images or descriptions. The ones with images definitely don't match.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, it's a tight 90.

I found one on ebay for 10 bucks. Another e-bayer wants 195.00 Lol.

In the meantime, the tape will be OK, and I'll keep searching for a compatible or "close" solution.
They no longer make those fittings for your ride. "been there-done that-and, bought the tee shirt".

Try the product below, and no- I don't own any of their stock. I just think their products work.

Phil Swift says so
1640615444434.png

Last edited:

Squibbly

New zener diode installed on board.

Key turned to run position. Wait light never comes on. Relay activates but does not deactivate.

A mystery that needs solving…

Can someone take a picture of this section of their board and upload it?
1640643363017.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Squibbly

here is mine, from my 1008:
Thank you @vanaisa
That definitely looks like an old glass Zener Diode.
Are there any markings on it (like 1N734A)? It could be a germanium diode.
1640688874248.png

Perhaps I've just got some bad glow plugs, and that is why the relay isn't clicking off.
Will be checking that today.

Last edited:

Squibbly

So....a quick continuity (and Ohm) check of my glow plugs revealed I have exactly zero good glow plugs.
I have no idea how this truck was starting, but it explains why it was a hard start, and black smoke to start.

Pretty sure these are going to be the original glow plugs based on everything else I've seen on this truck. Going to hit them with some PB Blaster, because if this is anything like the steering wheel, I definitely don't want to be dealing with getting a broken glow plug out of the head.

Picked up some AC Delco 60Gs @ NAPA.

At this point, I can pretty much guarantee that anything I'm about to check to make sure it works is either going to be the wrong part, be broken, or installed wrong.
I don't even think if you *intentionally* tried to fu*k up a vehicle, you could do as thorough a job as the previous owners of this CUCV have.

Yet...it still runs and drives...😁

Last edited:

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So....a quick continuity (and Ohm) check of my glow plugs revealed I have exactly zero good glow plugs.
I have no idea how this truck was starting, but it explains why it was a hard start, and black smoke to start.

Pretty sure these are going to be the original glow plugs based on everything else I've seen on this truck. Going to hit them with some PB Blaster, because if this is anything like the steering wheel, I definitely don't want to be dealing with getting a broken glow plug out of the head.

Picked up some AC Delco 60Gs @ NAPA.

At this point, I can pretty much guarantee that anything I'm about to check to make sure it works is either going to be the wrong part, be broken, or installed wrong.
I don't even think if you *intentionally* tried to fu*k up a vehicle, you could do as thorough a job as the previous owners of this CUCV have.

Yet...it still runs and drives...😁
The 60Gs will work but you may have to change the plug wire ends or grind the spades to fit the originals

Squibbly

Well...what should have been a 2 hour job changing glow plugs today, turned into a multi-hour job because this truck doesn't trust me yet, apparently.

First things first. Did you know that glow plugs don't last 30 years?
Well clearly the PO didn't.

GPs.jpg

Some of these may as well have been welded in. All but one connector was difficult to take off of the GP. They were rusted on.
After I got the connectors off, most of the glow plugs were *tight* to say the least. I thought a few would snap off, but I got very lucky.

On 4 of them, even after I got them completely loose, they didn't want to come out of the hole. Looks like carbon buildup or weld slag on the tips of some of them. Again, was afraid I was going to snap a tip off in the head.
Got lucky again.

1640721741537.jpeg

I made some pigtails, because I wasn't about to carve up my $80.00 GPs.

This was my first attempt. The rest went much smoother.

Got them all installed and conected.

1640721885645.jpeg
1640721908400.jpeg

Installed my repaired GP module with the new Zener Diode to see if the new GPs fixed the issue of the relay not turning off, and if my first start of the day would be successful.

Yeah, buddy!!

On to the steering column....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks