• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Squibbly's M1009 and other Questionable Projects

cucvrus

After thinking this over I think the 3 bolt torque converters are shorter nuts welded in place. It would make sense because it would pull the flex plate down harder against the torte converter and cause the wobble. The 6 bolt torque converter would have nuts that are just a bit taller and seat the converter correctly. Just a thought. I also thought about the torque converter being from a gas engine as that 3 bolt is all I ever recall seeing on the gas engines. It has been a long time since I was involved in shop work on this vintage GM vehicles. I seem to recall that it could be either on the gas. But I always recall 6 bolt on the 6.2 diesel. What do I know? I forgot more things then I care to admit at times. Good Luck. If it were mine I would use the correct parts and make sure they are aligned. You will get the desired results by doing it right. Someone cheated you by doing it half fast in the first place. Happy Holidays.

Squibbly

After thinking this over I think the 3 bolt torque converters are shorter nuts welded in place. It would make sense because it would pull the flex plate down harder against the torte converter and cause the wobble. The 6 bolt torque converter would have nuts that are just a bit taller and seat the converter correctly. Just a thought. I also thought about the torque converter being from a gas engine as that 3 bolt is all I ever recall seeing on the gas engines. It has been a long time since I was involved in shop work on this vintage GM vehicles. I seem to recall that it could be either on the gas. But I always recall 6 bolt on the 6.2 diesel. What do I know? I forgot more things then I care to admit at times. Good Luck. If it were mine I would use the correct parts and make sure they are aligned. You will get the desired results by doing it right. Someone cheated you by doing it half fast in the first place. Happy Holidays.
Agreed. The correct TC is on order. I need to order the TC bolts (I only have 3 of course). I'll probably order a new FP.

I suspect that the parking pawl bracket being installed backwards had the PO throwing the kitchen sink at this trying to fix it until he gave up, and passed it on to the next people who also gave up, and then the guy I bought it from who didn't even try. I have tracked the owners back that far and asked questions. Well, this truck finally has an owner that isn't going to just give up.😂

I think regardless of whether or not the FP is attached to the TC, (which I tested), when it isn't it still shouldn't be grinding against the starter. I've never seen someone start a built engine on a stand, and have the FP grind the starter, so I wouldn't expect it to do it here, when I disconnect it from the TC.

I've been studying as fast as I can to learn all I can. Wasn't quite fast enough. lol.
I wish I had you're many years of knowledge rolling around in my noggin. For me, it's simply the cost of tuition here. Cheaper than a degree. I do appreciate all your time and input into my project.😀

Last edited:

Squibbly

Out of an abundance of caution, is *this* the correct flex plate, because this is the one I had ordered:
ATP Automotive Z-136 ATP Flexplates | Summit Racing

Nevermind...the other thread I posted someone was installing a 700R transmission.

Since this post was useless, how about a simple fried fish recipe?

Rub some yellow mustard on your fish, then put some House Autry fish breading on it.
Stick it in the fryer till it turns a golden brown. You won’t be sorry.

You won’t taste the mustard and it takes out any gamey taste. My wife isn’t a fan of fried fish at the restaurant, but she loves this.

This is some Florida Oscars and Mayans my buddy gave me with the deer meat.

Also this T-Fal EZ clean fryer I picked up is awesome.

It’s got a mini thermostat in it so when the oil cools down it opens a valve and all the oil filters through a screen into a container below for reuse. Easiest clean up ever.

There..now I didn’t waste a post.

Last edited:

Squibbly

I hate waiting on the parts bus to arrive.

Look at that oil stain. Luckily since I changed the rear main, no more has leaked.

Going to need to start looking for a source for that brush guard soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate waiting on the parts bus to arrive.

Look at that oil stain. Luckily since I changed the rear main, no more has leaked.

Going to need to start looking for a source for that brush guard soon.

I think there is a guy on this site that makes them brand new, I'll try to research it further for you. Hillbilly Wizard makes them brand new.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New Flex plate arrived. I ordered a Pioneer this time and it’s got the same exact made in Mexico stamp on it as the ATP one I ordered.

Are these things supposed to be fish-bowled?

CUCV- M1009 - Pioneer Flex Plate arrived. - YouTube

Don't take this the wrong way, but, did you place a straight edge like a level across the surface of your table in different directions?

Squibbly

Don't take this the wrong way, but, did you place a straight edge like a level across the surface of your table in different directions?
This is the slab on my garage floor.
To answer your question, No. I didn't do that at the time, but I just did now and flat in all directions.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the slab on my garage floor.
To answer your question, No. I didn't do that at the time, but I just did now and flat in all directions.
I still would not trust your garage floor being flat in the radius of your flex plate, my guess is your floor is not flat. You would have to have a level the length of the diameter of your flex plate and move it 360 degrees around the circumference of your marked pencil line flex plate and the bubble would have to stay in the exact position all the way around, not necessarily level, just remain in the same spot. Not really the best way to check.

Last edited:

Squibbly

I still would not trust your garage floor being flat in the radius of your flex plate, my guess is your floor is not flat. You would have to have a level the length of the diameter of your flex plate and move it 360 degrees around the circumference of your marked pencil line flex plate and the bubble would have to stay in the exact position all the way around, not necessarily level, just remain in the same spot. Not really the best way to check.
I can lay a flat bar across the Flexplate, and it's bowed enough in the middle that the straight bar rests on the centerplate and teeters side to side hitting the outer ring. This is on the side without the weight (facing the TC), so when bolted to the crankshaft it's got an umbrella effect that would pull the ring gear closer to the starter, than if it laid flat.

Last edited:

Squibbly

I googled brand new cucv brush guard at Hillbilly Wizard
Oh. My bad. I thought you meant he was selling new flex plates. I got flex plates on the brain right now.

I'm wondering if maybe the 6 pad TC will flex the plate back enough to not hit the starter. Just seems like the center plate should be completely flat.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh. My bad. I thought you meant he was selling new flex plates. I got flex plates on the brain right now.

I'm wondering if maybe the 6 pad TC will flex the plate back enough to not hit the starter. Just seems like the center plate should be completely flat.
I agree and I don't know. I would think flat is better and then the flex would be even all the way around.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can lay a flat bar across the Flexplate, and it's bowed enough in the middle that the straight bar rests on the centerplate and teeters side to side hitting the outer ring. This is on the side without the weight (facing the TC), so when bolted to the crankshaft it's got an umbrella effect that would pull the ring gear closer to the starter, than if it laid flat.
That I don't know, could very well be. Need to do some research I guess. I read something to the affect that a dished flex plate would allow room for the starter to mesh gears correctly with the ring gear without hitting the starter. MAYBE.

Last edited:

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New Flex plate arrived. I ordered a Pioneer this time and it’s got the same exact made in Mexico stamp on it as the ATP one I ordered.

Are these things supposed to be fish-bowled?

CUCV- M1009 - Pioneer Flex Plate arrived. - YouTube

Interesting video...I wonder if when it was welded together it warped? I hate to take the chance but when you bolt it up will the crank bolts and TC bolts being there is 6 pull it straight again? Possibly measure the drop on the ring gear and make sure it is the same all the way around...that is a bunch of work getting it apart again if it doesn't though.

Squibbly

Interesting video...I wonder if when it was welded together it warped? I hate to take the chance but when you bolt it up will the crank bolts and TC bolts being there is 6 pull it straight again? Possibly measure the drop on the ring gear and make sure it is the same all the way around...that is a bunch of work getting it apart again if it doesn't though.
I returned it. If the 6 pad TC is going to fix the dishing, then it may as well be with the one I just installed.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I returned it. If the 6 pad TC is going to fix the dishing, then it may as well be with the one I just installed.

[/QUO
Yeah good call. Maybe you can index your starter with a grinder or something to give it a little more clearance. Hope it works this time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks