• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SRW operation and accessories

caengelbrecht

Our fire department has just put into service our M1078A as a brush truck/high water vehicle. After reading the procedure for operating the winch we understand it to mean you do not put the truck in gear to help yourself wench out of a tight spot. We have found that if you leave the truck in gear and then engage the wench you can wench and have the vehicle under power, but if you engage the wench and then attempt to put the truck in gear it will not shift into to gear. Will damage occur if you wench with the truck under power in gear? Also what is a good solution to the clevis on the end of the wench cable, hook or chain? Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ha, I just did a thread on this. But first welcome to the site. A tailchain/hook assy from a M35A2 older deuce works great. Red River Parts and Equipment has the best deal on these.

I did not notice that you could fool the winch into operating with the transmission in drive. Will have to try that. Should be OK as long as you don't over-rev the pump.

I just wrote the SOG and apparatus familiarization docs for high water use of my fire department's LMTV. Let me know if you need a copy.

Attachments

caengelbrecht

A copy of that would be great, you can never have to much information, I took it out during Harvey but got nervous when I couldn’t see the street and needed to make a left hand turn so I waited for the boats then backed out. I just talked with a heavy wrecker operator and he is pointing me in the right direction for a snatch block

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will bump this after playing around with a few different 1078, 1083s. The 1078 with the SRW did let me put it in Drive while the PTO was engaged. It would not allow it to go into reverse though and it would blare the buzzer.

The 1083 did the same thing. Forward gear with the PTO engaged at idle. But a few times it would blare the buzzer. Must be temperamental.

On a 1084 by using just the PTO for the crane the siren would blare no matter if you put it into Forward or reverse and it would not shift into gears with the PTO engaged so it has something interrupting it.

So maybe some units did some bypass or something or just a failsafe that is prone to failure.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
In theory once you manually throttle up to run the pto at operating rpms the trans control should refuse to go into gear based on the higher rpms.

ramdough

Ha, I just did a thread on this. But first welcome to the site. A tailchain/hook assy from a M35A2 older deuce works great. Red River Parts and Equipment has the best deal on these.

I did not notice that you could fool the winch into operating with the transmission in drive. Will have to try that. Should be OK as long as you don't over-rev the pump.

I just wrote the SOG and apparatus familiarization docs for high water use of my fire department's LMTV. Let me know if you need a copy.
Can you send me a copy?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks