• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SS diesel glow plugs

rdragoo

I'm about to order a set of glow plugs from SS diesel. My M1008 is all stock with the resistor bank still in place. Could someone confirm that I should order the 12v glow plugs and NOT the 24Volt. I want to make sure I get the order right the first time.

Thanks to the group!

Blake

12v SSD-8 is their part number. They have the wider blade than stock so if you use the original connectors, you have to file down the blade; if the your terminals are bad, replace them with the nice insulated female terminals

ida34

I think the plugs for the humvees are different. I think they are true 24 volt an they haved a round connection instead of a spade connection. When I ordered mine it expressly said it was for the cucv and not to order the other ones for the humvee.

ida34

I just checked with the INDUSA website. I got my plugs from them. The list a different number for the military humvee and the cucv.

6a843g070 for cucv
6a843g115 for the military humvee

Both of them listed as 24 volt so the only difference may be the round instead of the spade connector. From diagnosing my glow plug system I know they plugs in the cucv should see around 12 volts. Maybe someone with more knowledge can speak up here.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The correct Wellman plugs (with the smaller connectors) are available on eBay all the time. Then you don't have to change the connectors.

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G070's are the Wellman plugs specifically for CUCV's. That's why they were direct replacements. The connectors are the right size and all.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
So is the intial question about the plugs in the CUCV being 12 Volt or 24 Volt answered here or am I the only one confused? I have a 6.5TD in my 98 Suburban that is getting the SS plugs this weekend and the M1009 needs them too so do I order the same ones or different ones?

rdragoo

I'm going to assume that the 12 volt glow plugs are correct for the cucv. There is no way the glow plugs can recieve a sustained 24 volts with the resistor bank in place.

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The main difference is the 3/16" CUCV spade connector versus the regular 1/4" connector. Be sure to get the temperature regulating dual coil (non-swell) type, too. AC 60G's for civilian (or equivalent) or the Wellman G070's for the CUCV.

ida34

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
So is the intial question about the plugs in the CUCV being 12 Volt or 24 Volt answered here or am I the only one confused? I have a 6.5TD in my 98 Suburban that is getting the SS plugs this weekend and the M1009 needs them too so do I order the same ones or different ones?
Direct answer: Get different ones. The M1009 uses a different connector. If you have to order new anyway get the right ones.

SsjSned

12 vs 24?

Can 24 volt plugs be used if wired to the 24volt terminal without the resiters? that way you could still slave start also when the plugs are used both batterys will be used instead of 12volt plugs hooked up directly to 12volt block without resiters with only one battery being used with plugs. or will damage occur somewhere like the controller? lets say the system is stock with the resiters connected to the 24volt terminal and all glowplugs fail then 24volts would be going through the rest of the system since resisters only drop down voltage when the plugs are drawing power. just wondering?

CCATLETT1984

RE: 12 vs 24?

you would need a different controller, the stock one will fry if connected to 24volts (Just ask a few of us how we found that one out.) you could use the relay from the m998 and then get a button switch that is rated for the 24v. if you leave the rest of the stock controller intact the "wait" light should still work.

you would also need to run power from the 24v lug, and bypass the resistors.

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Personally, I think the stock system works quite well as it is, so I'm not much into modifying it. But....

Why can you not use the stock controller? If you got a 24V relay with a 12V coil (although the stock relay might survive for a while - I'm not really sure of it's actual specs), you could stick with the stock controller and move the orange wire from the relay to the 12V junction, so you don't blow the card. Then, lose the resistor bank and everything should function as normal. Is there a flaw here?

ida34

The controller reads the voltage going to the glow plugs. I am sure it uses this to time the run. If you just connected 12 to the sensing wire (orange wire) for the controller I am not sure the system would perform properly. I think this setup would render the system inoperable on a slave start situation depending on how low the front battery has gotten.

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter

What does it determine from the voltage on the orange wire and how does it use it? I've never really looked at the circuitry that closely.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks