• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

STA Superlug 9.00x16 tires on my M1008

91W350

39" it is... 2575 at 65 mph... happy now? 8^)

Roughly 55 at 2200 rpm.... nice cruising speed and rpm...

Only I do not think you will find a 18.5" rolling diameter on these tires...

2deuce

I have a set still of those 900x16 milemaker from the 80's in the back of my shop. They were very loud, not a whine but a roar. I have a set of 4 new 1100x16 radial xzl michelin tires I'd sell for $1200. Heavy tire no flex in these, they even have a steel belt in the sidewall and they are relatively skinny for their height. They are less than 3 years old and stored inside. These have the lug pattern not blocks. I intend to put them on my CUCV but don't know when I'll get around to it. I was afraid I'd need a turbo to pull them. Anybody using these tires on their CUCV? They are in Oregon. I have some new 1100x20 radial michelins with the block pattern I should sell also.
Greg

2deuce

One thing about sidewall flex is that even tho the ride height will lower, the circumference around the tire doesn't change and that circumference distance is what determines your speed at a certain rpm.

solarmon

One thing about sidewall flex is that even tho the ride height will lower, the circumference around the tire doesn't change and that circumference distance is what determines your speed at a certain rpm.
thank you. .all these years I've been fooled into thinking my speed was related to how hard I pushed on the "loud pedal"

91W350

Nice of you to somehow take an inch away from 36 (yes, I DID say they were 36), then come up with 39 when you put it back. . .you have a future in government LOL
I did not want to be cutting a couple of inches off for you... you are back to 2800 at 65.8 mph...

Interesting thought on the radius and circumference of the tire though. True it is still the same distance around the tire, but would the patch in contact with the surface be flat and not round? Just wondering, if you air down so your radius is only 16 instead of 18, your ground speed remains the same at that engine rpm? Your contact patch becomes much longer, we all agree on that. I think your tire takes a shortcut due to the flat contact patch, opposing a fully aired up tire. Putting a longer track on a tracked vehicle will not give you any more speed, a taller drive sprocket would.

solarmon

I did not want to be cutting a couple of inches off for you... you are back to 2800 at 65.8 mph...

Interesting thought on the radius and circumference of the tire though. True it is still the same distance around the tire, but would the patch in contact with the surface be flat and not round? Just wondering, if you air down so your radius is only 16 instead of 18, your ground speed remains the same at that engine rpm? Your contact patch becomes much longer, we all agree on that. I think your tire takes a shortcut due to the flat contact patch, opposing a fully aired up tire. Putting a longer track on a tracked vehicle will not give you any more speed, a taller drive sprocket would.
and. .along those lines. ..where does the space inside a tent (or tire) go when you take the tent (or tire) down?

citxmech

The analogy to a tracked vehicle is not a good one because the drive sprocket is not fixed to the outside circumference [the drive wheel turns many times before the tread comes around once] unlike a wheel and tire where the tire turns one time for ever turn of the wheel. Essentially, tracked vehicles have a built in reduction gear.

Last edited: