• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stacking M101a2 without turning them over? anyone try this?

shohnson

I won some m101a2 trailers from GL And I am looking into different options for hauling them home. I have seen others stack these with the top one upside down. I'm wondering if you could stack them right side up and just winch one right into the other with the use of ramps. Has anyone done this before? I have ample tie down straps and equipment to secure them once in place. I am mostly curious about whether the the stock wheels and tires will clear the inside of the bed rails the track width appears to be narrower than the bed but i do not have one that I can measure to be sure. Any incite, experience, pictures would be nice. Thanks.

shohnson

Anybody able to check those dimensions??? I am confident that I could secure the trailer once in place but I would really like confirmation on the outside track dimension compared to the inside bed dimension. I am aware that meens my tires would be on the bottom trailers wheel wells this is fine with me.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
According to the data tag, its 71.3 to the outside of the wheels/tires.

My tape measure says its 65.25 inside the bed. That doesn't count the wheel wells that are less than 48 between them.

I think your best bet is a car trailer to haul them with. You can fold the "A" of the trailer's tongue up, so the trailer is just over 6ftx8ft long.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Upside down stacking can ce accomplished with handtools and come a longs or chainhoists. You will sweat a bit but other members have done it.

shohnson

Thanks for the info Chris. I agree the most straight forward method is to bring them back with a car trailer. But I don't have one of my own and hate borrowing things. Renting one will cost more than I'm willing to spend. I think I'm going to go with the upside down method. I don't mind a little sweat, I just wanted to explore another option. I have seen the step by step instructions for doing this and I believe I can make that happen. Thanks for the help all.

AVFD8

009.jpg012.jpg037.jpg If you remove one tire you can stack one on its side inside of the other one. These pictures are of a recovery I made from Aberdeen to northern Vermont this spring. If you hook chains to both shackles on the same side they roll over and hang close to 90 degrees. The lift operator lifted it and I backed under it with the other trailer. He then loaded both on the bigger trailer.

shohnson

Good point on the taillights I have some scrap oak from old skids I plan to take with me. I will make sure to block it up high enough to clear the lights. I like what you've done there AVFD If a lift is available I may consider this. I will assume that there is no help available until I get there and see. I usually try not to assume the feds (or their contractors) are ever going to be any help. Just a good polocy in my book.

Firejareen

I took a snatch strap and wrapped it around the axle, ran the ends out the back of the trailer, then had the yard guy lift it with the forks. I walked the pintle under till it was flipped and then pushed the other trailer under the one in the air. Both pintles forward, laying on two 2x6's, ratchet strap down tight, hit the road. The guy didn't think I knew what I was doing but when done he said "I aint never seen anything like that".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks