• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stacking trailers for travel

KaiserM109

What I'm contemplating might be stupid and dangerous, so if you think so, please feel free to say so.

I just won a bid in Hooks, TX on an M101A2 trailer and am thinking about bidding on another there to make my trip down and back more profitable; I live in the Denver, CO area. The trailer I got is in good shape as far as I can see.

I am thinking about taking the bed off of it and putting the other trailer wo/ wheels on backwards, then putting the first bed in the top one on its side. Then I would stack the wheels from the 2nd one in the bed somewhere.

Another question for 101A2 owners, ‘Does the tongue come off as easily as it does on an A1; what about the brake line from the surge brake?'

KaiserM109

Last edited:

harleyhouse

stacking is fine, tip them on their tails and strap them together.
tip one onto the wheels without killing yourself and ride it home.

To remove the tongue, two bolts by the spring hanger and pull the tongue tilt bolts in the front. remove the brake line also.

Why take anything apart. Just do as harleyhouse suggested. They will stack fine that way. You can even make some stakes to fit in the pockets to lock them together.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Why take anything apart. Just do as harleyhouse suggested. They will stack fine that way. You can even make some stakes to fit in the pockets to lock them together.
If the forklift operator is a good guy and the GL site doesn't have a rule against it you can have him turn one upside down and set it up on the other one. As stated above putting some wood in the stake pockets locks them together. Strap them together with some heavy duty ratcheting straps and you are good to go.

jw4x4

I remember a Triple Stack of trailers leaving the Goergia Rally a couple of years ago. No incidents. Just be sure to secure them, stop and re-check the tension on the straps after you hit a few bumps and they are settled in. Good to go.

kurtkds

That's the way you do it. Love your truck. Service bodies are so useful.
That's NEWFDAD's truck, He drove from Montana to pick up his trailers that I was storing for him that he had won from JBLM.

I believe it was 700 miles one way. LOL

The recovery went without incident.

two.fiveM35

Before you try anything, call Hooks and ask if they can assist you with loading. I've made several recoveries at Hooks and have never received any assistance. That place is huge and they have stuff so spread out. I had to move 2 other gen trailers myself so I could get mine out. CALL FIRST

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled my trailers individually, from the base in Anchorage and stacked them offsite. A friend had a backhoe and we used that to stack the trailers. I imagine that most any towing or crane outfit would lift the top unit. It took less than one hour to flip, spot and secure using the backhoe. It towed great over 600 miles of sometimes bad and often frost heaved roads in Alaska and the Yukon.

Attachments

NJRICK

GL will not stack or flip trailers anymore. They have for me in the past. Just pick them up one at a time & bring to the closest parking lot. Then stand them on there tailgates & strap them together.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stack M101A2

As said earlier check on and off base, they are not heavy trailers to flip and lift. Also bring a chain long enough to go across the bed diagonally when fliped over, with enough slack to put the forks or another chain. This will help pick it up level to sit down on 2X2's in the 4-corner pockets. I used the 2 side gate holes and the rear holes and drilled a new hole in the front bed lip and secured with bolts.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled my trailers individually, from the base in Anchorage and stacked them offsite. A friend had a backhoe and we used that to stack the trailers. I imagine that most any towing or crane outfit would lift the top unit. It took less than one hour to flip, spot and secure using the backhoe. It towed great over 600 miles of sometimes bad and often frost heaved roads in Alaska and the Yukon.
Please review the pics from Doug's post #13. THAT IS the proper way to secure these trailers to each other. Stakes in the pockets are fine as are bolts but if you are going to toss some straps, may as well do it right and follow Doug's lead, cross them front and back.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also swapped a couple of tires around to get the best ones on the ground. They all had good tread, but one was badly weather checked. I stopped early to check wheel bearings for heat and then checked them every time I stopped. I used a set of magnetic stick on lights (12V). Good luck with the recovery!

L999here

....M105's

Towed (2) M105 trailers that were stacked over 350 mi. with no problems. Did it twice. Used heavy-duty canvas straps and chains. Used the stakes in the pockets to keep 'em from moving around. It's safe and secure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks