• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stake Side Rail Fasteners????

Nick54

I have an M101A2 that I am rebuilding, starting with the wood. My question is how do I undo the fasteners that hold the rails to the hardware? For that matter what type of fasteners are they and where can I get them? Thanks for the help.

Nick54

So is this a question that no one here has an answer to, did I phrase it poorly, or was it alltogether a knucklehead question?

jasonjc

If you have what I think you have, I think they are Hi-loc rivets. I could have my trems wrong. Its like a bolt with no way to trun it and a nut that also has no way to trun it? The nut has a hex on it to start with but when you tighten it the hex part of the nut snaps off when its tight.

Or I may be wrong, if so not not lisen to me. I will try to look at one of mine tomorrow.

Nick54

If you have what I think you have, I think they are Hi-loc rivets. I could have my trems wrong. Its like a bolt with no way to trun it and a nut that also has no way to trun it? The nut has a hex on it to start with but when you tighten it the hex part of the nut snaps off when its tight.

Or I may be wrong, if so not not lisen to me. I will try to look at one of mine tomorrow.
This sounds like it. Do you know how to get them off without damaging the brackets? Where can I get replacements. I know I don't need to replace the original with original but I would like to is it's not to expensive.
Thanks Guys, I appreciate the help.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do a search for aviation tools. Hi-locks can't be removed without destroying the fastners. They have a nut on them that breaks off when the correct torque is reached. There is a special removal tool to take them off. (they aren't rivets)

jasonjc

Well I just went and looked at mine. My sides are fiberglass. The things are not hi-locks. They seem to be some kind of rivet. They have a collar like a hi-lock but the shaft is not threaded, it has rings like threads. It seems that the shaft snaps off, not a nut on the collar. The collar will not unscrew. They will need to be drilled or ground off. Hears the best pic I could get of it.

Attachments

Nick54

Man what the heck were they thinking, what's wrong with a carrage bolt and nut? Ya I know - if a toilet seat costs $800.00 they had to find a way to spend $450.00 for a fastener.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

mhb285

I got this from Jim at Stephan Woods Products...

I got the attached file from Jim at Stephan Woods Products.
I'm looking to salvage some of the fiberglass boards on some M105 racks and e-mailed them. The reply is the attachment. Screws, washers & nylocks is what they now use on everything. This was just for the M105a2 trailer...
FYI.
Mike

Attachments

lexluther

nylocks make alot more sense. Perhaps uncle sam used the torque limiting fastener to keep kids from over wrenching them, but anyone on here can prevent that. Nice avitar, MHB - where?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will
What is the advangate of these over somthing more simple you could pick up at the local hardware store?
The only issue I see is that when the bows are stowed, the nut used in place of the rivit stuff hits the bow corner and the corner has to be forced into the pocket. I know this 'cause that's what the issue with mine is. On another note, I don't take the top off so I don't care how my stuff is assembled, just an observation and the OP asked where to get the rivits :)

lexluther

I dont take my top off eitther ...wow this could digress quickly, I hadnt thought of the clearance issue, I just thought there might be somthing to the torque limiting feature.
Thanks for the info...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks