• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stall converter rpm recommendation

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your keeping the 6.2/6.5 use the stock Diesel converter for the 700r4. The turbo 400 used a 1400 stall. I would think the 700R4 would be the same. The engine makes its max torque around 1600. So if you go higher than that you will miss out on power.

tage

If your keeping the 6.2/6.5 use the stock Diesel converter for the 700r4. The turbo 400 used a 1400 stall. I would think the 700R4 would be the same. The engine makes its max torque around 1600. So if you go higher than that you will miss out on power.
+1

you don't want a high stall on diesel application.

dhaumann69166

I am getting ready to do a 700r4 swap in my 93 M1038 and was wondering the same thing. So would a TC with a lock up around 1200 to 1400 be the best bet? Also don’t forget to swap out the governor gear if the tranny came from a non diesel.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you are straight on. 14 and lower would be your best bet. I installed a GM5 from Hughes in AZ on my TH400. It has a 1100 stall. It works perfect. Lots of power to the ground, right off of idle.

dhaumann69166

Are there any heavy duty TC’s that would be better behind the 6.2L than others? Wondering if anyone has had problems with any certain brand or if there any certain brands that work great? I always prefer to hear from people who have used them rather than trust what the website selling the part says.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a NA diesel keep the stall low and would look at 1200-1300 somewhere around there. With a turbo diesel I would go with a 1400 stall to give a tad more rpms to spool up the turbo. I really like the idea of a 700R4 and I happen to have a built one in a Mazda pickup and I may steal it for the HMMWV. Keep up updated on your setup.

Mark

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys really want to think about 4L80E, the R4 is garbage on its best days....I wouldn’t venture to far off road with it.
you can do the 80E for the same price and get a far superior trans, tons of parts avails and lots of them for sale locally.

dhaumann69166

The 700r4 is a perfectly good transmission that will handle just as much as the 4l80e when built correct at half the cost, no computer and WAY less work to install. Let’s try not to turn this into another 700r4 vs 4l80e thread. This is for people who don’t want the 4l80e and would like information on the tranny they do want to use.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 700r4 is a perfectly good transmission that will handle just as much as the 4l80e when built correct at half the cost, no computer and WAY less work to install. Let’s try not to turn this into another 700r4 vs 4l80e thread. This is for people who don’t want the 4l80e and would like information on the tranny they do want to use.
maybe they don’t know any better...maybe they have been fed a steady diet of BS.
go talk to any good trans shop about it....That’s all I have to say about that.

JoeJrTheBarber

you can do the 80E for the same price
Ok, I will bite.
Their is NO WAY a 4L80E with the computer, driveshafts, crossmember, and everything else needed to install into a HUMVEE will be the same price as a built 700r4 installed. Its just not possible. I have a 4L80E in my 55 Bel-Air so I know the cost of these transmissions. The Humvee doesn't make enough power or torque to break a "stage 2" aka Built 700 even on a bad day. PS --> 90% of transmission failures are due to overheating so slap a good / large trans cooler on it with some larger then needed -AN lines and go worry about something else..
My two cents on the topic..

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 700R4 was factory installed behind 6.2's by GM in their trucks. That weigh about as much as a HUMVEE. I agree the 6.2/6.5 can't provide enough power to hurt one. Keep it cool and it will work. Yes the 4L80E is a much stronger better built tranny. But for the cost it just may not be worth it for some guys. Some guys just want to enjoy the truck with out spending their grandkids inheritance on it. Lets face it most HUMVEE parts are way over priced. When you can get the same part for a GM truck for 75% less you need to do your homework before you get ripped off. If you just want a overdrive so you can get on the freeway with out over speeding the engine then the 700R4 is a reasonable priced way to get there. Is it really worth it to spend thousands for a tranny that if your not towing at max GVWR you don't need? OK i'll climb down off of the soap box now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks