• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stalling M1009

Friar Mycgyver

I am having a problem with my '84 M1009. While I am driving and I lift my foot off of the gas pedal quickly the motor stalls out. I put it in nuetral and turn the key and it starts right back up. I am lost and dont know where to start looking for a problem, transmission, fuel, vacuum......aua

Disciple

Fuel or air. Not much going on with the air side of things with a diesel. It's a fuel problem somewhere down the line. IP? Sucking air into a fuel line? Clogged filter? Check valve sticking? Obvious question here, but have you checked the TM troubleshooting section? Lots of good info in there.

Disciple

The -20 is the one youre looking for. Now that I think about it, not sure if they're up right now. If/when you can get a hold of the TM, save it to your computer. Here's what the TM says about "Starts but will not continue to run, hard restarting": step 1: inspect air cleaner and polywrap, replace if required. Step 2: check idle speed setting. Step 3: check for leaking or restricted fuel lines. Tighten fittings or replace leaking or restricted lines. If no leaks or crimps are obvious, bleed fuel filter. Step 4: check for contaminated fuel by draining fuel from fuel filter draincock into suitable container. Check color of fuel to determine if the correct fuel is in fuel system. Drain and replace if contaminated or incorrect fuel. Step 5: check seals on vent plug and draincock on fuel filter for damage. Replace damaged seals. Step 6: Check fuel pump operation. Disconnect input fuel line at the fuel filter. Disconnect pink lead from fuel injector pump. Use a quart capacity container and crank engine for 15 seconds. Container should be at least 1/4 full or contain 1/2 pint of fuel, install low pressure gauge in fuel line. Crank engine for 15 more seconds. Fuel pressure should be 5.5-6.5 psi. Connect fuel inlet line to fuel filter and connect pink lead to fuel injector pump. If fuel flow is insufficient, replace fuel pump.

Friar Mycgyver

I just installed a new Fuel Filter and I still have the same problem also noticed a slight surging sound to the idle. I remember it from before, just thought it needed to warmup......next step is to check the fuel pump and the idle speed setting.

ranchhopper

I usually find a replacement stanadyne pumps are relatively cheap easier to replace than go through the time and BS to rebuild one. Most good diesel shops have rebuilds sitting on the shelf.

DokWatson

You can't rebuild an IP unless you have the proper testing equipment, even if you did find a rebuild kit. They go through about 12 different benchmark tests on special machines to pass. You would have to send it to someone for testing anyways.

jward37

IP Pump

When my IP went bad, I had a pretty quick loss of power pulling up a hill one day, It did die like yours after starting, and it also blew some black smoke when reved. Replacement is a bit of work too. I would check everything else before replacing. Air leaks at hoses, idle, fuel pump, etc. Air and fuel as mentioned above.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks