• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stalwart swan dive

Westech

CPL
You know all this is cool but 99% of the posts are becoming just .... well Filler, really no useful content what so ever. We all can find this stuff on youtube. Thanks for sharing, but lets not fill the site with this stuff.

Love Westy.

Last edited:

Capt.Marion

VERY buoyant. I would have at least expected it to drink in untolds amount of water through the intake.

Stalwart owners (I know you're out there), are these things diesel or petrol?

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Engine is a Rolls Royce B81 straight eight, gas, about 400ci, though a few were modified for diesel (ex. Perkins)

A few years ago a pal in the UK said he had a friend who worked at the factory (60's?). That guy said they would drive them off the pier. If the went at least 30mph and the water was no more that 5' down they would alway come back up. Makes me wonder how many sank finding those figures.

What is amazing is the load place on the windshield, and what would happen if it were to fail.

Here is a vintage pic ot the some army sea trials. looks like a PT boat making the waves. I thought this was the Swedish or Norwiegain Army but pic lable says prototype and my memory isn't always reliable.

Here is a third pic, factory of a leak test, note the simulated cargo.These were rated for 5 tonnes land and 4 tonnes marine,

Oh, BTW anything MV related is welcome here

Attachments

Stalwart

The fastest I've entered the water in a Stalwart was about 25 MPH, it was fun to say the least.

I believe it was some Germans that drove one off a 20' high jetty, with the cargo cover fitted it came right back up after being FULLY submerged. They will swim with the full 5.5 tons if you don't mind having only 6" of freeboard. I'd feel better in a covered Stolly with that weight than a Gama Goat at any weight.

Last edited:

98hd

I've always thought the stalwarts were the better of all the amphibious trucks.

You would think the one in the video would have to be diesel. It's hard for me to imagine that the gas engine wouldn't stall with that impact. Unless it's fuel injected, but I'm doubting that.

todds112

Those things are way cool! How hard are they to get parts for and work on? I heard you shouldn't drive them on dry pavement as they have no differentials. There are a few on Ebay right now for some reason. I don't recall seeing that many for sale at one time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks