• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stand alone 002A diesel starts,then immediately stalls ?

donaldl

Hi Members;Luckydog recommended I post here in this forum. My oo2A diesel powered log splitter fails to stay running.Plenty of fuel.. it ran several hours yesterday, flawlessly.This morning it would start ,many times ,then die.Check-valve in fuel line was removed when modified.
This modified 002A has no electrical safety shut-downs on oil or temperature.The fuel cut-off solenoid has been removed.This modified oo2A has powered this log splitter for years without issue.
I suspect the issue is in the fuel contol at the fuel pump.Could the control rod be broke inside the pump ? Outside linkage is intact. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks,Don​

jamawieb

I would suspect the fuel pump (not injector pump) has failed. It's not pushing enough fuel to the injector pump to keep it running. It doesn't need much pressure but just enough.

Chainbreaker

Any chance you could post some pictures of it? Since it has been significantly modified it would be helpful to know a little more about what OEM Military components are still there and what isn't and what has been replaced by aftermarket components. Type of fuel pump on it, controls etc.

rustystud

I would suspect the fuel pump (not injector pump) has failed. It's not pushing enough fuel to the injector pump to keep it running. It doesn't need much pressure but just enough.
Totally agree with "jamawieb" . You've probably never cleaned out the pump filter either right ? I would start there.

Keith_J

In his other thread(in conversations) I said it might be the butterfly drive washer.
You talking of the Oldham drive key? If broken, it won't run period. This is a fuel flow issue, the injection pump requires good flow and pressure, otherwise the case pressure drops and then the plunger cavitates when the pump gets hot after running for a spell.

Definitely check the priming pumps and the strainers on the bottoms. Fuel first flows through the pumps, the. Through the set filters. So all the big gunk gets trapped in the pump strainers.

Remember, the injection pump generates considerable heat and adequate fuel flow cools it with most of the fuel returning to the tank. This is the primary cooling.

donaldl

Thanks guys for replies,
Disassembled pump after several days of rain. The SPACER #35 is in half. It is rubber so is it a seal or a spacer?? I reassembled with broken spacer
I marked the face gear position upon removak so timing will remain. After bleeding it now will not even fire.Worse than before.
I still have a fuel problem as no fuel ejection out of glow plug ports as would be evident if normal.
Can anyone comment on how high the tappet, item#17 sets above the gear face?? If the spring was damaged would this not have an effect on volume pumped? It feels correct but only moves 1/4 inch. Thanks again,DonaldL

rustystud

Thanks guys for replies,
Disassembled pump after several days of rain. The SPACER #35 is in half. It is rubber so is it a seal or a spacer?? I reassembled with broken spacer
I marked the face gear position upon removak so timing will remain. After bleeding it now will not even fire.Worse than before.
I still have a fuel problem as no fuel ejection out of glow plug ports as would be evident if normal.
Can anyone comment on how high the tappet, item#17 sets above the gear face?? If the spring was damaged would this not have an effect on volume pumped? It feels correct but only moves 1/4 inch. Thanks again,DonaldL
That rubber spacer is your seal. I would take the pump apart and check that the plunger moves freely through the pump. There could be junk in the bore preventing it from moving. When you put it all back together make sure you can hear the pump operate. It should have a kind of rattle sound.
I just reread your post. Did you take the fuel pump apart or the injection pump apart ? There is no gear in the fuel pump.

Last edited: