• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Standard 2 ton Jack stands

sak00

Here's a dumb Question. I need to replace a couple of wheel cylinders. As I have half the wheels off, I would like to rotate and do some wheel switching around.

Will standard 2 ton jack stands hold up if I was to do one side at a time. One stand per Axle?

motorolanut

Well I have used that size on pickup trucks but I would not trust my life or legs to them....Get 6 tons models or better yet 6X6 cribbing blocks and stack them like lincoln logs...criss cross that is...they always hold tons of weight
and if the truck shifts a little they will not fall or collapse like jackstands....Just my 2 cents...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried using 2-ton and 3-ton jackstands to hold up my M725 when the wheels were off. I came home from work one day and I found -725 on the ground, two of the jackstands had folded over, and the emergency cinder blocks had broken into pieces. I have a set of 5-ton jackstands out there now, and my remaining 2-ton jackstands are for sale on Craigslist. Someone who works on go-karts and Hyundais will give them a nice home.

cbvet

Get some good 4x4 or 6x6 wood blocks like motorolanut says!
I once spent a couple of hours pinned under a '59 Chevy after the cinder (cement) block broke. No fun.
Another time I smashed/flattened 4 fingers on my shooting hand when some bricks broke. Really had to practice with my left hand in order to make my monthly qualification. And it hurt a lot.
Eric

jasonjc

HF has 6ton jack stands on sale almost all the time $20-30a pair.
Wal-mart has them at some store some times. I have 4 or 5 pair of the 6 toner. cinder blocks will work if you stack them flat like they are made too be used. NEVER STAND THEM ON END. heck my house is setting on blocks :( :cry: :(

CCATLETT1984

your house isnt spreading its weight over an inch or two of the block , and there are many blocks spreading the load. the large surface area drops the pressure on each block significantly.
and Bricks/Blocks dont give at all. they give you no warning before they fail. and when they fail its not just cracking, they tend to explode under pressure. Dont be cheap with your safety, spend the money on the jackstands.

jasonjc

YES YES YES for working on the trucks jack stands all the way. Now for the parts truck out in the yard blocks. But as you pointed out , I use wood and/or soild blocks to spread the load. And doble stack and cross each layer.

FreightTrain

Banned
Heck,for 20 bucks you can get 2 or 3 railroad ties.Just pick though and get solid ones.1 tie is enough for one axle.Just cut it into 12-18" sections with a chain saw and there ya go.Just make sure to not cut into any date nails or spikes.Also,they have a S shaped peice of metal in the ends to hold them together when they age so be careful there.

comdiver

I'm using a combination of 5x5's and 6 ton jack stands. The jack stands are down all the way ( which helps ). I also place two heavy steel horses as a backup under the frame also. I picked up the hardwood cribbing from a place that makes pallets. All the timbers in the photo plus a few more cost me $10.

rmgill

http://www.tksimplex.com/screw_jacks.html]Screw type[/url] jacks are also good. They hold a great deal of weight and are adjustable over a wider range and can be used for lifting if you need to even something out. I picked up 4 of these two smaller and two larger ones for $20 each at a tool store inventory clearance. Short of the jacks or good 6 or 12 ton jackstands, go with sleepers or oak cribbing cut to managable lengths.

sak00

Thanks for all the info. I didn't think 2 ton stands were great, but I thought I would ask. Sometimes I'm too careful. Anyway, looks like this weekend is not wheel cylinder weekend. I might as well finish the paint job and do it next weekend. Pics of the new paint job will be posted when done. I can't wait.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks