• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Standard H Transmission

kcallesen

Hey, I'm designing a custom M36A2 and noticed in the manuals, that this truck does not have a standard H transmission configuration. Has anyone changed theirs to a Standard H? If so what all is required to do it? Is a standard H transmission compatible with the multi-fuel engine? I'm trying to draw up blue prints for all the modifications (and prices) I want before I start shopping for a Deuce, but cant seem to find any blue prints that have all the measurements I need to adequately measure for my modifications. If anyone has a full set of blue prints I'd greatly appropriate it. Thanks. :D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd do a cost benefit analysis on that mod. Not saying it couldn't be done but basically you would have to re-engineer the tranny from the inside. You could use the 3052 which has the shift pattern you desire but you will sacrifice any overdrive. Any specific reason you want to do this mod?

jaxsof

I'ld go with an Eaton 6 or 9-speed if money wasn't an issue. Or an Allison 1000-2300 if I didn't want to bother with shifting.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the capital letter "M", would be a nice shift pattern.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, I'm designing a custom M36A2
................................... but cant seem to find any blue prints that have all the measurements I need to adequately measure for my modifications. ....................................
WOW, designing, he...???

Yes, that transmission shift pattern is an ODD one and definitely needs to get addressed; I would start right there with the long list of modifications.....

Just let me know exactly what measurements you need!:)

G.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I drove a small stock INTNATIONAL dump a few times that had a shift like this on the column HH, the top was R up, 1st down, then the next two- 2nd up, 3rd down, then the bottom two- 4th up, 5th down. This D-M truck gave me fits, the only reason the owner brought the truck was because it was CHEAP, the former owner hated it because of the shift, no wonder, don't know how he ended up with it, maybe the same reason the guy I worked for did

DieselBob

I ran across a 13spd Road Ranger when I pulled wrenches for a living that had the 4th 5th reversed like in the deuce. Only one I ever ran across.

kcallesen

Recovery4x4, I know a lot about aircraft's but not a lot about vehicles (Mechanically). I want to design a Deuce into a 'top of the line' off road RV. My other question is it shows the top out speed at 55mph, and cruse speed at about 45mph... How do I get it for cruse at 65-70mph without over doing the RPMs or straining the engine?

Woodsplinter

How do I get it for cruse at 65-70mph without over doing the RPMs or straining the engine?

Never gonna happen in a deuce. Find another vehicle if you want fast...

jbingvtx

If you want speed, you should look to another platform for the base of this project. There are lots of civilian 6x6 rigs that would be a much better starting point if highway speeds are in the plan. The deuce was never designed to go that fast, or slow itself down from that speed. Would sure like to see build pics and/or drawings of what you have in mind though. There are several extreme RV's on here and I love to see what new ideas are out there.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Recovery4x4, I know a lot about aircraft's but not a lot about vehicles (Mechanically). I want to design a Deuce into a 'top of the line' off road RV. My other question is it shows the top out speed at 55mph, and cruse speed at about 45mph... How do I get it for cruse at 65-70mph without over doing the RPMs or straining the engine?[/QUOTE]

Buy a CIVI truck, put army truck sheet metal on to, these truck are designed for the 45/50 mph with brakes to match, high axle ratios, and a few other reasons

As a mod I am no longer ALLOWED to voice my thoughts about GO FASTERS

big hoss

[QUOTEHow do I get it for cruse at 65-70mph without over doing the RPMs or straining the engine?[/QUOTE]

The only way you could get it to go that fast is to have a spicer 3053a with a .79 aftermarket od. An LDS 465 it can turn 300 more rpms and atleast 395's. But i wouldnt want to go that fast in a deuce. Then you have to worry about stoping it.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey, I'm designing a custom M36A2 and noticed in the manuals, that this truck does not have a standard H transmission configuration. Has anyone changed theirs to a Standard H? If so what all is required to do it? Is a standard H transmission compatible with the multi-fuel engine? I'm trying to draw up blue prints for all the modifications (and prices) I want before I start shopping for a Deuce, but cant seem to find any blue prints that have all the measurements I need to adequately measure for my modifications. If anyone has a full set of blue prints I'd greatly appropriate it. Thanks. :grin:
This is a profound amount of work just because 4th and 5th are inverted. The reason they're inverted is explained here:

This thread, specifically post #5: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/4190-about-our-transmission.html

I'ld go with an Eaton 6 or 9-speed if money wasn't an issue. Or an Allison 1000-2300 if I didn't want to bother with shifting.
I have surfed this forum for 7+ years and I have seen every transmission under the sun recommended for retrofit into an M44 series truck (usually 8/9 speeds) and NO ONE has ever accomplished it. Space restrictions and PTO placement (if you want to retain your winch) have pretty much kept everyone locked into the stock 3053. That's why Tom tooled up and made his excellent 5th gear OD kits.

Recovery4x4, I know a lot about aircraft's but not a lot about vehicles (Mechanically). I want to design a Deuce into a 'top of the line' off road RV. My other question is it shows the top out speed at 55mph, and cruse speed at about 45mph... How do I get it for cruse at 65-70mph without over doing the RPMs or straining the engine?

OK, first, go read this. It'll save you a lot:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/60997-m813-over-road-reliability-2.html#post717326

The, sit back for an hour every night and start reading threads. Start at page 1 and work your way forward towards the newer content. You probably need to start in the deuce forum, then the deuce modification forum.

You will find that all the questions you're asking have already been covered in great, exhaustive detail. More speed, brake upgrades (which are necessary with speed), camping quarters including food, sanitation and sleeping facilities, etc.

Kohburn

toms final drive upgrade and a different engine followed by a disk brake conversion

or start with a different platform

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a profound amount of work just because 4th and 5th are inverted.
:ditto:

I don't see what's wrong with the pattern. Sure, it's different but I don't see why it can't be the "ultimate truck" with the stock pattern.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks