• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Standard tachometer Hookup?

linhster

I created a custom LED dash and trying to get all the correct sensors signal to feed the instrument gauges. The tachometer is the current task at hand. I ran a line from the AC terminal point of the 200amp Gen/Alt. The reading seem very high at idle (1800 rpm). Can I get some assistance with the detail of output signal from the alt to make the adjustment. Maybe the signal count is higher than the traditional 8 cylinder count???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mechanicjim

On the Niehoff alts the AC terminal is one half System voltage AC Sine wave.
so on your 200amp it would be a 14v AC signal. with a DVOM that has a Frequency/HZ function you can take a reading from the AC terminal to get the RPM of the Alternator. in normal Diesel setups Alternator RPM is a 3:1 ratio to engine speed. so ALT RPM 2100, engine RPM 700 roughly.
Now the things that can affect this reading most are belt pulley ratios.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks